New Fireplace Liner, New Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RayF

Nov 30, 2016
USA
Howdy! I recently experienced issues with our fireplace the first use after a liner was installed. I'm hoping that if I describe the series of events, someone here might be able to diagnose the problem. Thanks for any help!

A few months ago during a normal chimney sweeping of the downstairs apartment (I live in a row house separated into four apartments, all with connecting fireplaces), structural damage to the chimney was found. After repairs, a company put a liner in and we were told it was safe to use.

A couple of nights ago we put a Duraflame log in the fireplace (which is what we used many times before the repairs) and lit the packaging. Although the packaging burned off, only a small bit of the wood actually caught fire (which has never happened before). We chalked it up to the log being old and helped it along by holding a match on the other side. This worked somewhat, but the log never really lit as it has in the past. About 45 minutes passed and we noticed it smells pretty bad. We though it was the log, so we doused it to put it out. However, it turned out that it was smoke seeping into the apartment. We closed the glass doors but still smoke seeped in. Long story short, we smelled up the apartment pretty good (thankfully that's pretty much dealt with now), but we don't quite know what to do now. Could it be the log? An airflow issue?

The only change to the fireplace outside of the liner is a chain damper which we googled and made sure was open before we used the fireplace, so I don't think that is the problem.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
What size is the opening of the fireplace and what size liner did they put in? Did you warm the flue first?

What size is the opening of the fireplace and what size liner did they put in? Did you warm the flue first?

The opening is 2'4 x 1'9. We did not warm the flue first.

In terms of liner size, I am not quite sure. We are renters, so we did not deal directly with the company. I can see a metal oval shaft (I assume that's the liner?) which looks to be about a foot, or maybe a little more, wide. It's too far up for me to measure.

In terms of liner size, I am not quite sure. We are renters, so we did not deal directly with the company. I can see a metal oval shaft (I assume that's the liner?) which looks to be about a foot, or maybe a little more, wide. It's too far up for me to measure.
I would guess that they put a liner in that was to small for the opening or they did a poor job in the smoke chamber. But without more info that is a total guess

Thanks. I think we'll contact the company and see what they say. Any suggestions on things to try to improve the situation/test it?

What kind of fireplace/chimney was this? Any details on sizes? A picture?

"...outside of the liner is a chain damper which we googled and made sure was open..."

How did Google know whether your damper was open or closed? Seems to me you might try changing the position of the chain and see if that solves the problem or makes it worse, which would verify whether it was open or closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.