New fireplace project/Updated pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodracerx

Hearth Supporter
Oct 26, 2009
Florissant,mo
Started this past week on tearing out old heatilator to install the new northstar, I was surprized as to what I found when I removed the fake stone with metal lat on top of half inch plywood.I guest codes back then where not what they are today.Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_0914.jpg
    IMG_0914.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG_0915.jpg
    IMG_0915.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 674
You have one big job a head of you i see,good luck and hope
all go's well.

Great start and quite a project. What is going to be installed in place of the old unit?

Looks like a stout house. Are those steel I-beams in the ceiling?

Bg, installing a heatnglo northstar zc fireplace.No they are not i beams just wood.Mark

Nice, keep us posted.

Good for you woodracerx...that takes a lot of personal fortitude and determination to look at that magnificent stone altar and decide it's a total pos at what it was supposed to do. Looking forward to your updates.

Savage I was hoping to just tear only enough of the stone down to change out the unit, but like most projects go I end rebuilding it all to my satisfaction. Good thing for the 4 day weekend.I will kept giving updates. Mark

keep us up on your progress. Thanks for the pics.

Would you mind posting as many pics as you can?

Updated pics and first fire.

Attachments

• IMG_0924.jpg
    IMG_0924.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_0925.jpg
    IMG_0925.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0930.jpg
    IMG_0930.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0935.jpg
    IMG_0935.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0940.jpg
    IMG_0940.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0943.jpg
    IMG_0943.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_0948.jpg
    IMG_0948.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0949.jpg
    IMG_0949.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 344
Northstar second fire

Attachments

• IMG_0950.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 333
’bert said:
nice ZCF, I am looking forward to seeing the finished project. Great job and please keep up the great pics.
Yeh me too and I will.

Quick work, it looks great with the fire going. Cant wait to see when you are done also.

Woah-
Dude, I'm impressed / judging by your photos- i think its a good thing you did redo your original setup.

rsgBJJburner said:
Woah-
Dude, I'm impressed / judging by your photos- i think its a good thing you did redo your original setup.
Yes I was really amazed when I started tearing it apart to what I found.I am thinking about re-using the stones the where there with a lighter motor color any ideas anyone

I tore out a builder special open fireplace and put a North Star in last year, I've yet to finish it, although I've been moving on it lately and I hope to have it completed by Christmas.
I've been burning all last year, but still haven't put the new lower stones and new hearth extension on yet.

It's been a pain, learned alot though, rewarding in the end (whenever that is), so I think it's worth it. Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.