New first Enviro M55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JIBLANE

Oct 29, 2011
Long Island NY
First off hello my first post but I've read many threads over here and learned quite a bit as I knew nothing about Pellet stoves.
After much research and some pricing I ended up with the Enviro M55. I believe I picked a good one so far works great as far as I can tell. I had two tons of pellets delivered for the up coming winter here on Long Island American Wood Fiber I hope there OK I see and hear about so many different brands. I will have to play around with a few other brands but these where easly available and not as expensive as some others. Country Boy , Thurmans, and New England are around but quite higher priced. Not really to sure of the differances til I try a few.
I did the install myself as I am in contracting so it was quite easy. I also built my own Hearth for around $40 in Material.
I do have a few questions maybe some can answer

First off I found some brushes and tools that came with the unit and didn't see what there exactly for.
But may main concern is the Flame pattern.
First what does the combustion air trim do ? Is this just to lite the Pellets?
Then the Feed Trim is this to increase or decrease the feed of More or Less pellets ? I thought that would be automatic with the fan increase when using the heat level?
I also notice that the left side of the burn pot seems to produce a more constant higher flame then the right side this has me baffled.
I watched the video on the flame pattern I believe its ok not as god as the video but that I asume could also be due to different types of pellets. I thought about messing with the slide damper but desided to give it some time. I am trying to get everything set so I get the most out of the unit.
Also is there Tech support Tel Number from Enviro?
Any help or advice would be helpfull Thanks Mike
I tried to post Picture but says the file is to large.

Welcome to the forum. First the tools should have been a pot scraper for scraping the burn pot, and a brush
although I found to be useless too small, there should have also been a small tube of high temp grease
that is for the agitator, there should have also been an owners manual and an install manual.
the air trim works the same way as the feed trim it will either increase or decrease the air flow to
the burn pot to make small adjustments to the flame use it in conjunction with the damper which should
have been set with a magnahelic gauge at install. I have read allot off M55 owners have the flame to the
left for whatever reason mine doesn't do that. I am currently burning AWF pellets they are a descent pellet.
One thing you also might notice is the glass fogging up from the handle on the right across the top to the left
mine does this as does many others that I have seen ( why, don't know ) tried the dollar bill in the gasket all is
good might be the way the air is ported on the inside? Good luck with the stove you should like it.
Try picasa to re size you picture.

First thing I would do is read the manual couple times to get comfy with your unit. I'll try to answer what I can for you.

First what does the combustion air trim do ? Is this just to lite the Pellets?
Combustion trim raises and lowers the combustion voltage on the variable speed blower. This is for fine adjustment of air to the burnpot. So you don't need to adjust the damper. If you are getting a rich burn(black glass) you could raise the comb trim a notch or 2 until its cleared up. Or if it is lean(white glass and stove innereds) you would decrease/lower the combustion trim some.

Then the Feed Trim is this to increase or decrease the feed of More or Less pellets ? I thought that would be automatic with the fan increase when using the heat level?
Similar to the comb trim, The feed trim is used for adjusting the fire quality as well. But its adjusting the amount of pellets you feed in. Rich burn you would reduce the feed trim and lean burn you would increase the feed trim. Increasing the feed trim also helps stabilize the fire. If you fire is fluctuating and dies before the next fuel drop of the auger. Both blowers are varied to the feed rate set on the control panel. These trims are just fiine tuning features.

I also notice that the left side of the burn pot seems to produce a more constant higher flame then the right side this has me baffled.
Probably due to air flow in the stove. Hopefully an M55 owner can assist here. My Omega has the same engine but the innereds are different.

I watched the video on the flame pattern I believe its ok not as god as the video but that I asume could also be due to different types of pellets. I thought about messing with the slide damper but desided to give it some time. I am trying to get everything set so I get the most out of the unit.
I wouldn't go by the video so much. They are using a douglas fir pellet that is very hard for us to come close to. Do the best you can with its provided tools, But if it seems too low and you need more heat jump up to the next feed level. THe plate over the auger tube is also adjustable for pellets that don't give a dense enough fuel charge. Raise it to expose more auger shaft and it will increase the amount of pellets dropping into the pot. Adjust this slowly. I would mark them JIC before you move anything.

Also is there Tech support Tel Number from Enviro?
I've miss place the number can another member help out?

I tried to post Picture but says the file is to large.
See below it should help? You have to resize the image to no larger than 1200x1300 pixels
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewannounce/27_22/

Shucks jhass beat me this time! Got too fancy with the details! :red:

Well guess its working fine as Im not the only one with the flame better on the left. As far as glass fogging up from the handle on the right across the top to the left your right on the money thats two for two. Thanks It damp and chilly outside tonite but toaty warm inside without
using any fuel oil I feel good about that.

Sorry J didn't mean to beat you to the punch. If I knew how to cut and paste
on this forum you would have probably beaten me. :cheese:
Mike the stove you have will eat just about any pellet well along with corn
as long as you do your best to keep it clean.

jiblane
Also bought the m55 cast freestanding. The manuals are pretty much usless. I get more info from here. Any way congrats on the new stove. I love mine.
Also from L.I.

Wow where else can you get service like this great info thanks Fire God!
That clears up some of my concerns lets face it it was a large investment and I did as much research as I could I liked what I've read about enviro M55 so I pulled the trigger (that was for you" Really Hot" due to your Glock).
Now this may sound stupid but I was told I could burn Corn , cherry pits and so on are these the same shape as wood pellets or is corn just like the original corn shape and cherry pits shaped like pits? I did read corn burns hotter.
Plus are they cheaper and where do you get different fuels like that I'm always up to save a few bucks.
I did all this because as Most I was tired of the crazy oil prices. I will add my down stairs area where I installed the stove was my most used Zone I have 4 heating zones in my home my oil bills were around $950 to $1000 last year so killing this main heavly used Zone will hopefully cut down my bills. The other Zones are used less.

jhass said:

You did fine, Don't worry about me. Getting old so I have many many excuses. Glad your helping out around here! I might have to kick back and take it easy for a while. Good to know you'll jump in. ;-)

I'll 2X the stoves ability on fuel quality. Eats what you feed it. No back talk either. Just happily munches away throughing heat at you. I'd rather be the judge and the picky one.

JIBLANE said:
Wow where else can you get service like this great info thanks Fire God!
That clears up some of my concerns lets face it it was a large investment and I did as much research as I could I liked what I've read about enviro M55 so I pulled the trigger (that was for you" Really Hot" due to your Glock).
Now this may sound stupid but I was told I could burn Corn , cherry pits and so on are these the same shape as wood pellets or is corn just like the original corn shape and cherry pits shaped like pits? I did read corn burns hotter.
Plus are they cheaper and where do you get different fuels like that I'm always up to save a few bucks.
I did all this because as Most I was tired of the crazy oil prices. I will add my down stairs area where I installed the stove was my most used Zone I have 4 heating zones in my home my oil bills were around $950 to $1000 last year so killing this main heavly used Zone will hopefully cut down my bills. The other Zones are used less.

Corn is corn, Same that they feed cows and livestock with. Pricey right now and probably not worth it. Pellets are cheaper. Corn burns dirtier at around 1.2% ash content. But the ash is dense as heck. Usually forms clinkers(little self fused rocks/pebbles). Doesn't burn any hotter mostly because of the extra moisture content. But it seems to take longer to burn pound per pound. I call it prolonged BTU's. I have had nice results mixing with would pellets. 60/40 and burn on standard pellet mode to by pass the clean cycle.

And the pits are just that pits. Cherry and Olive. I have burned cherry and its the closest rival to wood pellets in ash content Right around 0.8% compared to the average pellets 0.6%. Price is also higher than wood pellets locally.

These are good options in pellet lean times. Another is grass pellets. Switch grass and timithy(hay) grass but ash content is real high over 3.0%. Cheaper than wood pellets but you will need towork for your savings. Check this link:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50637/

kykel said:
jiblane
Also bought the m55 cast freestanding. The manuals are pretty much usless. I get more info from here. Any way congrats on the new stove. I love mine.
Also from L.I.

Agree...I get more help from this site too!!

j-takeman said:
jhass said:

You did fine, Don't worry about me. Getting old so I have many many excuses. Glad your helping out around here! I might have to kick back and take it easy for a while. Good to know you'll jump in. ;-)

I'll 2X the stoves ability on fuel quality. Eats what you feed it. No back talk either. Just happily munches away throughing heat at you. I'd rather be the judge and the picky one.

Please "J"...No breaks until I can extract some more of your knowledge!!!

Jiblane I probably only burnt 35 bushels of dent corn ( field corn or horse corn) about 1 ton.
I would mix it 90/10 corn/pellets and burnt it on the regular pellet setting and loved it, yes I did
clean the stove and chimney allot because yes corn is dirtier but you have to understand I would
take the corn directly from the harvester and and clean it myself. We tried to harvest at around 15%
moister as that is what the mill wants. Then after thinking about it we sell an 80lb. bag for 10 dollars
for deer bait so the math was easy I could sell 1 bag of corn at 15% moister and get 3 40lb bags of
pellets that where considerably drier and cleaner.
The Glock in the avatar isn't mine couldn't find a 1911 or M&P animated avatar.

Glad to hear Glock is not your Favorite Let me know if you find an avatar for Sig P226 West German folded slide, Sig 220, CZ PO1, Ruger SP101 or Kahr PM9 to name a few.

Been burning a few different brands of wood pellets so far other then AWF a few bags from lowes and HD i'll get the names later the stove seems to handle them just fine so far. From what I see so far I'm not that impressed with AWF seem to get much better Flame from HD Pellets less ash and clunkers.
Whats the benifit not much there in savings from what I see and seems the corn is more work? My concern is that the cost of pellets seem to be going up and up from what I'm told.

The only advantage with corn is it is readily accessible to me and always enjoyed
going to a friends farm who heated an old farm house only with corn for many years
and I wanted to try. The one benefit with the M55 is I never had to add any crushed
oyster shell to help prevent the clinkers like my friend still does I just cut the corn with
pellets.

Eatonpcat said:
j-takeman said:
jhass said:

Please "J"...No breaks until I can extract some more of your knowledge!!!

You might have to for a little. I have no power at home. I know you will do fine. ;-)

Eatonpcat said:
Wow that was a goos choice on the yellow highlighted quote :red: ...I can't even read what it says...Sorry!

I can't read it either.....

JIBLANE said:
First off hello my first post but I've read many threads over here ......
After much research and some pricing I ended up with the Enviro M55. I believe I picked a good one so far works great as far as I can tell........

Welcome to the forum!

As we say here often, if you don't post pics of the stove in action, then it never really happened! (Hint....we LOVE new installed stove pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.