New Gal: Advice on Used Jotul 600DV purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adirondack Girl

Oct 30, 2012
Hi there,
I’m new here and hoping for advice before buying a very lightly used Jotul 600DV freestanding gas stove. It’s 10 years old but in excellent condition. It’s no longer hooked up and so I’m not able to check the flame or functionality. So I need to take the seller’s word for it.

I have been contemplating buying a new one but thought I should consider used. If I bought a new stove a 600DV would be more of a stove than I’m looking for and/or need. I would settle on something smaller if I bought new.

Are there any precautions you would suggest? Is there any reason buying a 10 yr old Jotul would be a bad idea? I was particularly interested in how much the flame has changed over the last 10 years… I am concerned about how it may look and how much progress has been made over the years on the quality of the flame.

Can this stove be easily converted from natural gas to propane? The manual seems to suggest yes but I’m worried since it’s a decade old. I also am under the impression it can be either a top vent or rear vent stove.... it's interchangeable, is that correct?

Getting parts could be challenging as there are limited dealers in the area and the ones listed don't have any on the floor to look at.

Anyone willing to make a ballpark range on what a 10 year old Firelight in excellent condition should run in price?

According to the manual, it doesn’t look like the 600DV has an option for a shorter leg accessory.
Any advice would be so helpful!
Thank you!
Jenn

Are there any precautions you would suggest? Is there any reason buying a 10 yr old Jotul would be a bad idea? I was particularly interested in how much the flame has changed over the last 10 years…

I would suggest you see if the seller still has the NG to LP conversion kit in his manual bag. All Jotul DV units come as NG, but have the LP regulator, Pilot Orifice & Burner Orifice in that bag. If not the kit is available from Best Fire in Green Island NY 518-687-2388.

I am concerned about how it may look and how much progress has been made over the years on the quality of the flame.

Remove the top, pull the glass from & look closely at the burner. Newer units have a Stainless Steel pan mounted to a cast iron bottom. The stainless will actually burn through & warp after a few years of use. It is a lifetime warranty item for the original owner, so you may have to have him get the replacement if it's needed.

Can this stove be easily converted from natural gas to propane? The manual seems to suggest yes but I’m worried since it’s a decade old.

See above. I would suggest that you have it converted & then fire it with an LP tank from a gas grill. That way you can see it in operation. You will need to put at least one 2 foot piece of DV on it, - with the cap - in order for it burn right

I also am under the impression it can be either a top vent or rear vent stove.... it's interchangeable, is that correct?

Yes, see here: http://www.jotul.com/content/products/ProductArticle.aspx?id=47916&epslanguage=en-US
If you vent it horizontally, you're gonna have a big ole Snorkel Cap on the outside of your dwelling...

Getting parts could be challenging as there are limited dealers in the area and the ones listed don't have any on the floor to look at.

Where are you in the Adirondacks? There are two Best Fire stores with burning floor models. One in Troy & one in Albany

Anyone willing to make a ballpark range on what a 10 year old Firelight in excellent condition should run in price?

I'd say $500 - $700, but that may be high or low, depending on the actual condition of the unit. I sold my 2 year old Firelight for $1500...

According to the manual, it doesn’t look like the 600DV has an option for a shorter leg accessory.
Any advice would be so helpful!

While it may not have the option, the legs are Cast Iron & can be cut. I've done it a couple of times to fit them into a fireplace...

Thank you!

You're welcome! Any other questions or concerns, feel free to ask...

Thank you so much for your help!!! It's so great to talk to someone knowledgeable.

Apparently, they are way off in price since they are asking around $1400. They are not the original owners as it was put in a home right before the home was put up for sale. They say the unit was hardly used.

I'm actually not in the ADKs... just grew up there.

I have 2 potential uses for the stove (different locations). One would be LP the other NG. I haven't really figured out which place I might use it.

I contacted one Jotul dealer who said the Jotul 300 was just redone and has a much better flame now... so I'm worried about the flame quality on the 600 and and it's also quite a beast of a unit (I've been told).

The local dealer also said he is booked out for a couple months for the install (past XMAS :(....). He could however get the unit in stock in about 1 1/2 weeks if I wanted to deal with installation with someone else..

Do you think a VERY handy hubby is capable of running two 3" flexible vent pipes up our chimney (a factory built fireplace with a smallish 8" chimney run ) and handle the flashing and cap work, himself? We could then hire our for the gas work which we currently have a gas log set at the moment so all the gas lines are there already. It looks like venting is available online but these dealers have also put the fear of God in me about installation and so I'm worried about having my husband do it.

Thanks so much for your opinion....

Thank you so much for your help!!! It's so great to talk to someone knowledgeable.

Apparently, they are way off in price since they are asking around $1400. They are not the original owners as it was put in a home right before the home was put up for sale. They say the unit was hardly used.

I'm actually not in the ADKs... just grew up there.

I have 2 potential uses for the stove (different locations). One would be LP the other NG. I haven't really figured out which place I might use it.

If you can run the stove on nG, that would be the least expensive of the two fuels...

I contacted one Jotul dealer who said the Jotul 300 was just redone and has a much better flame now... so I'm worried about the flame quality on the 600 and and it's also quite a beast of a unit (I've been told).

The GF300 Allagash is 26K BTU. The GF600 Firelight is 40K BTU & would heat a larger area, but if you're only trying to get heat in one room, maybe the Allagash would be all you need...

The local dealer also said he is booked out for a couple months for the install (past XMAS :(....). He could however get the unit in stock in about 1 1/2 weeks if I wanted to deal with installation with someone else..

Where are you located? The may be someone on this forum would could handle that or you could google for a local NFPI certified installer...A local plumber might be able to help you with the gas line...

Do you think a VERY handy hubby is capable of running two 3" flexible vent pipes up our chimney (a factory built fireplace with a smallish 8" chimney run ) and handle the flashing and cap work, himself? We could then hire our for the gas work which we currently have a gas log set at the moment so all the gas lines are there already. It looks like venting is available online but these dealers have also put the fear of God in me about installation and so I'm worried about having my husband do it.

The installation of the co-axial vent kit is very straight forward & a number of us here can talk your husband thru it. A hand seamer, a caulk gun, caulk, unfaces fiberglass insulation & a screw gun are really all that are needed...

Thanks so much for your opinion....

You are quite welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.