New garn controllers will be sent soon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemer

Feb 26, 2008
Northeast Pa
Finally the new controllers will be sent next week.They will run the fan for 10 min after the flue temp drops to 5 degrees of water temp.They will have an out door sensor and 2- other sensors for delta t of s/r. In the near future there will be a remote temp display available.Just in time for Xmas

I don't know if they are for sale yet.They are for the people who were on back order.I think you can up grade.

Martin told me that the labels (which is what the hold up has been for the last 6-8 weeks) were supposed to hit their facility yesterday. They have had the new controllers sitting there waiting to go out for a long time but it's illegal to ship them without. $25,000 fine plus loss of your UL listing.
I will find out Monday for sure if they showed up as promised by the printer. Seems they are the only printer in the area there that can do UL listed technical labels of the type needed so Garn is kind of over a barrel waiting for these guys.

When I called Kieth for a update he told me he was putting on lables as we speak.Hope he was telling the truth

Kemer said:
Finally the new controllers will be sent next week.They will run the fan for 10 min after the flue temp drops to 5 degrees of water temp.They will have an out door sensor and 2- other sensors for delta t of s/r. In the near future there will be a remote temp display available.Just in time for Xmas

So is this to say it is best practice to turn off the fan when the flue temp drops below the supply temp and there are just a hump of glowing coals in the chamber?

Sawyer said:
Kemer said:

So is this to say it is best practice to turn off the fan when the flue temp drops below the supply temp and there are just a hump of glowing coals in the chamber?

Correct. You don't want to leave half a load of wood in there smoldering and doing nothing. If your wood is decent, a half dozen embers will rekindle the next load with no problem due to the amount of air going through the combustion chamber. The only Garn I have ever seen with creosote in the combustion chamber was being operated by a guy who only put about an hour on the timer and left the wood load mostly unburned. He slidged up he flue tubes so bad that we had to call a sewer cleaning company with a power cutter to get them cleaned out. He learned real quick from that episode.

Heard that half of the new controllers went out in UPS today and the other half will go tomorrow. Now it's just up to UPS at their busiest time of the year.
Martin wants to thank everyone for their patience during the whole process.

Any thoughts on how these additional functions could be utilized?

The automation of the fan and the remote temp display I can understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.