New Garn Owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RowCropRenegade

Feeling the Heat
Mar 19, 2008
Southwest, Ohio
Made my decision last monday. Saved me 5% by buying now. They should be starting to build it next week. I'll pay the remaining half when it's done. Planning on driving my 2500 Chevy with 20 foot 20,000 lb capacity trailer to Minnesota to get it. 1700 shipping charge. 1500 round trip miles. I think I can do it for less than 1.00 per mile. Probably .35/mile. I could take the semi, but that's overkill.

Planning on touring the factory while I am there. Taking my bro with me, so we can tag team the miles.

I'll be the only Ohioan with a Garn. I like that fact. My pops had the first GPS on a our combine in Ohio. I still think about the Econoburn but couldn't get passed the dream I had one night about the Garn. I was out in the barn late at nite firing the Garn. Dad was combining corn right next to the barn. I was waiting for the semi to be loaded to take to his house and dry. It felt so real. I spend alot of late nites watching the corn dryer.

Cost. The thermal line will be a back breaker at 3600. 140 feet to my house. 15,500 for the Garn, flue, chem treatment, 6 electrodes, flanges. Haven't bought heat exchanger, thermal line, pumps, plumbing insalation, concrete yet.

Created a spreadsheet to calculate savings. Financed at 7 years, 7%. No prepay penalty. If I didn't pay any extra principal, interest over the 7 years, thats 7500 in interest. So 32500 total for the Garn. Most likely I'll pay off in 1 or 2 years, but don't want my capital tied up at the moment. I could have financed at 5 years, 5% but longer term makes this cash flow.

Let's say I bought a new Oil boiler and it saved me 30% in fuel use. 2.50 a gallon over the next 30 years. Factoring in the cost of the new oil boiler, fuel savings and the price per gallon of fuel oil, I would have spent in oil 115,000. Say it costs me 750 bucks a year to gather firewood. I don't pay down on the loan, eat the interest. It will take 8 years to pay back. I will have saved over 60,000 in 30 years.

But who really thinks oil will stay at 2.5? Our oil imports in this country has declined every year since 2005. The world's oil field are in irreversable decline. If oil doubles and goes to 5 bucks, and I can actually get it ill have saved 170,000 over 30 years. Lol pays for my farm.

Interesting stuff. Thought I would share.

Will be asking many many more questions throughout this process. Special thanks to Jim K and Piker during my exploration of wood boilers.

Reed

You could take the semi - but then you would have to hire your self to do the haul with all the appropriate paper work and files and bribes and fees ;)

The DOT would have a field day with you, if/when they found you using a commercial licensed vehicle for private use

But congrats on your fine boiler purchase

RowCropRenegade said:
Cost. The thermal line will be a back breaker at 3600. 140 feet to my house.
Reed

pm heaterman on how he does this. He is a garn dealer and has stated that he has his lines spray foamed for about 7.50 a ft. I would think that you could get a contractor to spray there for close that. I think spray foaming is better than anythink else I've seen out there.
leaddog

Congratulations Reed. I think you went about this decision making process in the best way, regardless of the unit you decided on. I think the GARN will be an excellent addition to your farm, and ideal solution do ridding yourself of oil dependancy. :coolsmile:

As we already discussed, the closed cell polyurethane foam sprayed on the lines in the trench is an excellent alternative to the pre-insulated material, and far, far less costly.

Best of luck with your install - we all look forward to LOTS of pictures. ;-)

Good luck Reed. Anytime someone makes a decision to do something that makes themselves more self reliant, I have to give them a big round of applause. I was glad to be of help to you, though it's too bad I wasn't able to get inside your head far enough to induce dreams about an Econoburn. :) Teasing of course. Keep us posted on your progress.

cheers

RowCropRenegade said:
Made my decision last monday. Saved me 5% by buying now. They should be starting to build it next week. I'll pay the remaining half when it's done. Planning on driving my 2500 Chevy with 20 foot 20,000 lb capacity trailer to Minnesota to get it. 1700 shipping charge. 1500 round trip miles. I think I can do it for less than 1.00 per mile. Probably .35/mile. I could take the semi, but that's overkill.

Planning on touring the factory while I am there. Taking my bro with me, so we can tag team the miles.

I'll be the only Ohioan with a Garn. I like that fact. My pops had the first GPS on a our combine in Ohio. I still think about the Econoburn but couldn't get passed the dream I had one night about the Garn. I was out in the barn late at nite firing the Garn. Dad was combining corn right next to the barn. I was waiting for the semi to be loaded to take to his house and dry. It felt so real. I spend alot of late nites watching the corn dryer.

Cost. The thermal line will be a back breaker at 3600. 140 feet to my house. 15,500 for the Garn, flue, chem treatment, 6 electrodes, flanges. Haven't bought heat exchanger, thermal line, pumps, plumbing insalation, concrete yet.

Created a spreadsheet to calculate savings. Financed at 7 years, 7%. No prepay penalty. If I didn't pay any extra principal, interest over the 7 years, thats 7500 in interest. So 32500 total for the Garn. Most likely I'll pay off in 1 or 2 years, but don't want my capital tied up at the moment. I could have financed at 5 years, 5% but longer term makes this cash flow.

Let's say I bought a new Oil boiler and it saved me 30% in fuel use. 2.50 a gallon over the next 30 years. Factoring in the cost of the new oil boiler, fuel savings and the price per gallon of fuel oil, I would have spent in oil 115,000. Say it costs me 750 bucks a year to gather firewood. I don't pay down on the loan, eat the interest. It will take 8 years to pay back. I will have saved over 60,000 in 30 years.

But who really thinks oil will stay at 2.5? Our oil imports in this country has declined every year since 2005. The world's oil field are in irreversable decline. If oil doubles and goes to 5 bucks, and I can actually get it ill have saved 170,000 over 30 years. Lol pays for my farm.

Interesting stuff. Thought I would share.

Will be asking many many more questions throughout this process. Special thanks to Jim K and Piker during my exploration of wood boilers.

Reed

Please get in touch with me before you buy any tube. I can give you a hand with that and more.

Was notified that my Garn has already been built. Apparently Dectra are feeling the effects of the economy as well. They have several units built and stuck in the warehouse.

So all I have to do now is pay the 2nd half of the payment and it's all mine. Spring has sprung in my neighborhood. Lots of farmers out working ground, spreading fertilizer etc. So I will be getting phone calls very soon to go put down chemicals. So I'm probably tied up hauling/spraying/planting the next 40 days. As soon as the last acre is taken care of, one quick run through the shop with the truck and I'm Minnesota bound.

I'll be sure to snap some photos real soon...

Got my 4 books in the mail today.

How Come? Hydronic Heating Questions

Primary-Secondary Pumping Made Easy

Pumping Away

Hydronic Radiant Heating

I'm halfway through how come. Been reading on here past couple weeks but I don't have much news here. Waiting to get in the field. Reading books in the mean time. :)

RowCropRenegade said:
Got my 4 books in the mail today.

How Come? Hydronic Heating Questions

Primary-Secondary Pumping Made Easy

Pumping Away

Hydronic Radiant Heating

I'm halfway through how come. Been reading on here past couple weeks but I don't have much news here. Waiting to get in the field. Reading books in the mean time. :)
Where did you order your books from?
Thanks Hedgewood

Read all of the books. Still raining here. Rereading has begun.

Yeah got them at heatinghelp.com. 89 bucks well spent.

Refilled my fuel oil tank with 1.60 farm diesel. All wood cut and stacked. Now just for the Garn....

I tryed to order the books tonight but they are having problems with the web site and it would not take my credit card number. I will try to contact them. Thanks for all the help so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.