New gas fireplace conversion - help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jenbury1

Feb 22, 2016
Boise, ID
Hello and thanks in advance for letting me join this excellent resource.

I have a 1906 wood burning fireplace that I would like to convert to a vent-free gas log system (no interest in burning wood). Chimney sweep said the fireplace is pretty much shot, air is escaping 1/2 way up, not making it to the top of chimney, the flue is completely rotted, and there is a negative draft coming down, so I'd like to completely close it off. Mostly because it makes my living room smell like smoke on certain days spending on the temp/wind conditions, but also because is also a massive cold draft. I'd like to seal the top (with a mortar/caulk and galvanized sheeting) and also also create a block off plate above the actual fireplace. Here is the question - is this the best idea, and, at this point would it make sense to create a small vent pipe even for the ventless gas logs to make double sure of proper venting? And can I then have a tiny flue in a 3" - 4" pipe that is essentially an extra vent system so I never have to worry about keeping a window open for humidity to escape? I have done the vent free calculation and I am more than fine with cubic space, but I still don't like what I read about the vent free systems to fully commit. Your advice is appreciated!

You'll get differing opinions here, but, I have a absolutely no concern with the safety of vent free appliances. I have them in my own home and, as long as they are installed and operated to manufacturer specification, I am comfortable with the technology.
Seal that crappy chimney off and utilize the firebox with a vent free log set.

Reactions: jenbury1
Status
Not open for further replies.