New guy here with questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best we know is the best we've used, i've only had my one stove so any opinion i offer is really doing you a dis-service.
What i will still suggest is multi fuel and pipe capable of corrosive gasses. Also by multi fuel i mean more than corn and wood pellets.

I've burned very little corn, 2 or 3 bags total, last few years it wasn't worth it, corn was to expensive. i mixed it about 50% and really didn't see any difference in the burn. There are individuals here that have burned corn for many years and they've posted a great deal of info in the process, something to read up on after you get settled with whatever you decide on.

I don't believe the agitator eliminates the clinker, justs keps it to a smaller size. I had a 1/2 ton of pellets a few years back that made golf ball sized clinkers, using the agitator/stirrer kept the clinkers broken up and just made for gritty ash.

No dis-service at all, johninwi. I will take all of the input I can get from anyone about any stove or unit. It helps in my decision process. It is my understanding corn has come down somewhat but I believe it is still high dollar comparatively speaking I was told?? One guy told me he got a batch of corn with bugs in it and had the things all over his business for months. Had a terrible time trying to get rid of them. Said they kept hatching out of a pile he had delivered and that he would never mess with corn again .LOL! I have a barn to keep stuff in so.... not a deal breaker other than cost. I could get some sealable containers to stock in the garages and rotate it in. I usually accumulate 5 gallon buckets from my line of work anyway. Thanks for the pipe recommendation. Probably a little more money too.

no offense taken, anytime we mess with storing food stocks we are inviting "guests", when i get a descent day's weather i'm looking at puting 3800lbs of corn in the basement, i may become the piedpiper, the neighbors will love that.
the multi fuel pipe is more money, if your running a short run straight out the wall swapping it later isn't a big expense, or much effort.
of the list i posted i can probaly get half a dozen items, and corn's probaly the only cost effective alternative to wood. But i like having the option.

Reactions: bags
I know the quadrafire mt vernon can burn those fuels have you looked at it yet

No I haven't. I will. Thinking multi fuel but may just go pellet only still. My concern is that down the road the pellets could out cost other fuels I might be able to get. The way things go usually is you get onto a good thing and it can fizzle out. I do my own wood but if I had to buy it the price has jumped this year because of the harsh winter last so sellers are trying to get top dollar. Some of the goof balls think they are selling a gold plated version of wood. I also find it amazing how many of them come up with all these DIFFERENT sizes of a cord of wood. Some of that on Craigslist is just as entertaining as the "free" wood. All you have to do is take their tree down ($2,000 job) that hangs over their house and then have your buddy come with a crane and lift it out of the back yard you couldn't get a wheel barrow into. Be sure not to mess up any grass either! Comical stuff. Then you have some nut job with the "free" piles of dirt with broken concrete mixed in that would cost them a pretty penny to get gone. Hahaha! Must be some type of special dirt......... Kind of like a free puppy dog. Once you leave the vet it suddenly becomes a $200 pup. Then you hit the pet store for toys, collars, a leash, and supplies and now you have a $400 free puppy. Sometimes it can be a win-win though. I did get a lot of cut free wood and it helped an elderly lady get it out of the yard. The tree service wanted some more money to take it. About 3 cords a few miles up the road with roll up to access.

Sorry, rambled on and off topic.

My Harman Advanced is the most painful to clean out of all the Harmans. It has, let me count, 7 burn chamber parts that have to be removed for cleaning.

johninwi or John I assume. How much is the just shy of two tons of corn out of curiosity? If you don't mind me asking. I know it fluctuates with the market but so does every thing else on the supply and demand curve. I can get a ton of hardwood pellets for $224 so 3,800lbs of pellets = $420 +/- roughly off the top of my head. I would like a comparison. Not sure of the price of corn here. Is corn harder to burn? It does take more to get it burning I saw somewhere here.

How about a pellet boiler, outdoor or indoor. You could hook it right to you system.
Ron

If I had it to do over I probably would have gone that route. I installed the wood hungry dragon the winter of 2004-2005 and was very unfamiliar and under educated on all of these alternative heat systems. Doubtful I would do it right now since I would probably want to sell the Wood Master 5500 to get it out of here first and that could take some time but you never know. I've done crazier things all too often. I will look into this option as well though because it might enlighten me. I have not looked at those yet at all. I assume they like to eat some pellets?? I need to figure out (ball park) how many tons of pellets I would need for a season and do a cost analysis. Wood is very cheap or free for me but a bunch of work for the amount I need. Plus the dragon is not truly green in any way, shape, nor form which I try to take into consideration but the bottom line is I need to keep the wife and kids warm and try not to wind up in bankruptcy doing that.

No I haven't. I will. Thinking multi fuel but may just go pellet only still. My concern is that down the road the pellets could out cost other fuels I might be able to get. The way things go usually is you get onto a good thing and it can fizzle out. I do my own wood but if I had to buy it the price has jumped this year because of the harsh winter last so sellers are trying to get top dollar. Some of the goof balls think they are selling a gold plated version of wood. I also find it amazing how many of them come up with all these DIFFERENT sizes of a cord of wood. Some of that on Craigslist is just as entertaining as the "free" wood. All you have to do is take their tree down ($2,000 job) that hangs over their house and then have your buddy come with a crane and lift it out of the back yard you couldn't get a wheel barrow into. Be sure not to mess up any grass either! Comical stuff. Then you have some nut job with the "free" piles of dirt with broken concrete mixed in that would cost them a pretty penny to get gone. Hahaha! Must be some type of special dirt......... Kind of like a free puppy dog. Once you leave the vet it suddenly becomes a $200 pup. Then you hit the pet store for toys, collars, a leash, and supplies and now you have a $400 free puppy. Sometimes it can be a win-win though. I did get a lot of cut free wood and it helped an elderly lady get it out of the yard. The tree service wanted some more money to take it. About 3 cords a few miles up the road with roll up to access.
Where I live I see more and more people getting pellet stoves and more and more pellets being sold so I don't think this is a fad.but one thing I don't see is the other fuels you talked about available here anyway that's why I asked if they were available to you.

corn is usually 56lbs a bushel, using the 2000lbs ton thats 35.71 bushels per @ $3.00 a bushel = $107.14 ton

this is feed mill price, i'll be visiting a local farmer who was my boss at one time, i'm guessing the 3800lbs will be $200 and a 12 or 30 pack of beer.

Wheat availability is high due to vomitoxin in the fields. Wheat has to be destroyed and some farmers can get the insurance company to allow offset so I can buy it to burn in the stove.
Others I have to wait til it is dumped - then it is free so long as I load it into the hopper and then into the grain bin.

Corn prices are down but neighbors will bring a load over and auger it into the grain bin for me. 10% moisture corn, already very clean burns well.

1800 sq foot home. [2 story]..
HarmanP61A...1-1/Half bags per day.
close to 2 bags per day during the bitter zero degree Polar Vortex.
very un-insulated 90 yr old house.

corn is usually 56lbs a bushel, using the 2000lbs ton thats 35.71 bushels per @ $3.00 a bushel = $107.14 ton

this is feed mill price, i'll be visiting a local farmer who was my boss at one time, i'm guessing the 3800lbs will be $200 and a 12 or 30 pack of beer.[/quote
1800 sq foot home. [2 story]..
HarmanP61A...1-1/Half bags per day.
close to 2 bags per day during the bitter zero degree Polar Vortex.
very un-insulated 90 yr old house.

That is great to here. PA is colder than here usually and I am pretty well insulated and intend to improve that still.

Open mouth, insert foot. Ya got me. I am not very well insulated myself but a little better than I used to be. LOL! More oil for the engine.....

Status
Not open for further replies.