1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

NEW GUY! Install question

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by spartysteve, Oct 22, 2013.

1. spartysteve

spartysteve New Member

Loc:
    Iowa
    This may seem real basic but I am bit stumped with my install. I have purchased the Metalbestos through wall kit from Selkirk. Everything seems easy enough when creating the opening, installing the thimble, the wall bracket outside, the insulated T... This is where I get stumped. It would seem to me you'd want the same class A chimney pipe running through the wall and thimble and connecting to the insulated T and not coming out into the room as to be seen since it's SS and not black. Being that my wall is less than 6 inches I don't get how to make the connection from the insulated T through the thimble.

My question is: What type of pipe to do I run from the T through the wall thimble and connect to the black stove pipe in the house?

Thanks for any help!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Take a look at the Metalbestos or Selkirk websites. They show the assembly of every possible configuration of their products.
    Yes, you have to come thru the thimble with the same type of Class A in order to make a safe, secure connection, but you may have to postion your wall thimble so that the inner end conforms to a minimum distance criteria from the combustible wall. IIRC, that minimum distance is 4.5 inches into the room. At that point you install an adapter from the Class A to your connector pipe. You shouldn't see any of the Class A. That should all be within the wall thimble.