New guy with dumb questions thread :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jme5343

Oct 3, 2012
Hi gents (and ladies?), I've been reading while waiting for my approval - lots of great info (and some sickos, hahahaha).

I purchased a well used Whitfield Advantage II stove this summer ($400), and am getting ready to put it in - perhaps this weekend. I live out near UCONN, but work in Hartford, CT. I have my hearth and permit, but need to pick up my pellets and piping - looking for some input on that.

I need a cathedral box (actually, I still need everything), and my Lowes and HD in Manchester don't carry it in house, I would have to order online. Since I want to do it this weekend, I was looking for suggestions if anyone might know anywhere in a 30ish mile radius of Hartford that is good to do business with that would have one in stock.

I'm also considering going with the Timber Heats at Lowes for $209 / ton. The only other option from a "big box" is Green Supremes at HD, which someone here said to steer clear of :)

Thanks all!

Preston Trading Post might be a hike for you but they may also have exactly what you need. Other than that there is a TSC past the Walmart and HDepot in Windham that may have what you're looking for. There is also Fireside Supply in Hebron and some place called something like "Glowing Hearth" or Glowing Embers or something like that out near manchester on 44. I ordered all my piping online so not really sure.

As far as pellets go, prices are starting to get ridiculous but for 300/ton you can get real nice pellets or 209/ton clean your stove more often. I don't mind cleaning my stove but when I travel for the week I load it up with Turmans so the wife doesn't have to empty the ash. I get my Turmans from CJs in Manchester but buy the middle of the road stuff wherever I can. My M55 doesn't really care what you feed it so quality loses to quantity when I'm around and willing to do the maintenance. Plus I'm all kinds of cheap...

Good luck finding what you need.

You may also want to consider checking out Mainline Heating and Supply, which is in Ashford (right down the road from Mansfield).

Thanks guys, I'll probably run over to Hebron this morning.

thedude - I'm a little disappointed in Mainline right now. I called for a quote on an install - they asked me to send pics, which I did that night. Two weeks later they called to tell me that they hadn't forgotten about me. Another two weeks have gone by and I haven't heard from them. As you say, it's just a short way from here, if they'd just come out and looked, I probably would have hired them.

Status
Not open for further replies.