New Hearth Construction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jason.uitvlugt

Oct 14, 2014
Western Washington
Hello!
My wife and I are purchasing our first house and it's a great place except there's no wood stove. The house was built in 1939 and has a brick fireplace with a space in the wall for a stove pipe on the main floor. That is where we are planning for our stove. Currently the on-demand (propane) water heater is venting through the chimney from the basement. We are planning on a professional moving and re-routing that so it vents from a basement window.
My question is about clearance for the stove.
I will be putting in a hearth before we have the stove installed by professionals. The wall is currently sheet rock and the floor is wood.
I was planning on using metal 2x4s attached to the sheet rock an floor with non-combustible cement board and then stone tile. Is the metal 2x4 enough clearance or do I need some other type of spacers-especially for the wall?
Any help you can give me at this point would be great! We're not in the house yet, so I don't have pictures, but I will try to get some soon.
Thank you!

Did you already decide which stove you want to install? Many modern stoves only need some non-combustible material covering the floor. There will be no need to build an extensive hearth with a lot of thermal protection. Rear clearance can also be as low as 6" to a combustible wall with double-wall pipe.

The Lopi stoves mentioned only require ember protection for the hearth. There is no problem building it to a higher insulation value if that is desired.

What I am not clear on is how the stove will be vented. Will it be installed in the fireplace? If so, is the fireplace tall enough to accommodate the stove. Is there a mantel involved? If so there are clearance issues that need to be honored there too. Can you post a picture of the proposed stove location?

Status
Not open for further replies.