New Hearthstone Soapstone stove after two burns. Does the interior look ok?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JerkyChew

Nov 30, 2020
New England
Just had a Hearthstone Mansfield installed. All my questions brought me back to this forum, so I figured this was the best place to ask - I've run two low temp burn-ins so far. I plan to do one more and then deem the stove ready to use. However I noticed that the interior soapstone appears charred and might be chipping. Of course it will char, it's a stove :). But can somebody confirm for me that this is normal? I'm thinking (hoping) that it's just creosote as a result of the low temp burns combined with the moisture that was in the stones - They had water drops on them (inside the box) as the stove got hotter. Thanks in advance.

PXL_20231025_162524543.jpg PXL_20231025_162534587.jpg PXL_20231025_162601089.jpg

You couldn't have had much of a fire, or hot fire, given the unburnt splits in your firebox. I'd say the bulk of any creosote is due to a small, cool, weakly established fire. Burn it hot and the interior will look different. Equally important, that wood is probably a bit too wet. What is your wood source? Is the wood moisture content <20%? Search on the forums about dry wood...it's vitally important.

Looks normal to me, with short, small fires. Juice her up next fire time.

Reactions: JerkyChew