New here but I've been heating with coal for over 30 years

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil505

Sep 19, 2013
I burned wood for one year...went to coal & have never looked back.
I heat my 24X44' split with a coal stove located in a basement family room.

Welcome to the Hearth,
Not many coal burners here. You're welcome to stick around but nepacrossroads.com is a dedicated coal burners forum. There used to be a lot of coal burners around my area. The mining dried up in the early '80's and everyone went to wood. Where are you from?

Hi,

I burn both wood and coal. When people ask why my usual answer is "Wood is cheap, coal is easy." The wood stove heats quickly but needs to be tended every 8 to 10 hours. (I scrounge my own fuel so there is little cost involved). The coal stove takes a couple of hours to get up to steady state but needs much less tending. (Bulk coal is running $300/ton delivered here). The coal stove can keep the house warm while I am away for the weekend. Either stove is enough to keep the house comfortable when we have normal winter weather. When we get those really cold spells I have both going.

Are you a member at NEPACROSSROADS? What kind of information are you looking for here?

KaptJaq

Status
Not open for further replies.