1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

New here but I've been heating with coal for over 30 years

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Devil505, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Devil505

Devil505 New Member

I burned wood for one year...went to coal & have never looked back.
    I heat my 24X44' split with a coal stove located in a basement family room.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fox9988

fox9988 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    Welcome to the Hearth,
    Not many coal burners here. You're welcome to stick around but nepacrossroads.com is a dedicated coal burners forum. There used to be a lot of coal burners around my area. The mining dried up in the early '80's and everyone went to wood. Where are you from?
  3. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Hi,

I burn both wood and coal. When people ask why my usual answer is "Wood is cheap, coal is easy." The wood stove heats quickly but needs to be tended every 8 to 10 hours. (I scrounge my own fuel so there is little cost involved). The coal stove takes a couple of hours to get up to steady state but needs much less tending. (Bulk coal is running $300/ton delivered here). The coal stove can keep the house warm while I am away for the weekend. Either stove is enough to keep the house comfortable when we have normal winter weather. When we get those really cold spells I have both going.

Are you a member at NEPACROSSROADS? What kind of information are you looking for here?

KaptJaq