New home ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonard

Nov 21, 2009
Central Maine
Hello all new member here just stumbled onto this GREAT site researching Bio bricks. We just recently finished a 2600sqft cape (the 2600 is actual living space), I installed a condensing boiler LP fired Baseboard hot water, and a Hampton fireplace insert. We absolutely love the insert it is very pleasing to the eye ( it is in the center of our home ) and heats the home pretty good, although we have not had any sustained cold to date this fall. My question is that I am pondering putting a woodstove in the basement to keep the boiler at bay most of the time, will this be a worthy investment? How would one recommend I get the heat up through the house? The ceiling of the basement has R-19 on it and there is nothing on the walls of the basement inside or out. Any suggestions? I was also contemplating a pellet stove, my thoughts being fill the hopper and forget about it.

Welcome to the forum. Have you considered an indoor wood boiler tied into your distribution system? Not only would it be the most evenly distributed heat, but you could also take care of your domestic hot water needs with it. Check out the Boiler room for ideas. You should also search this forum for the challenges associated with basement located wood stoves.

S&W We think alike :) I am currently setup with wiring,plumbing and a dual coil 80 gallon water tank for solar hot water I also plan ( future ) to install a woodboiler but right now $$$$ is a problem. My thoughts were to buy an inexpensive stove for the basement. But while were on the subject what woodboilers should I focus on for my needs?

There are many good options. Folks here seem to like Orlan, Tarm, Econoburn and Garn if it is an option. There is a lot of knowledge/experience in the boiler room on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.