New House Build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Up N WI

Jul 9, 2023
WI
Hello all - long time fan and lurker. Thank you all for the information so far. I currently have a regency/Hampton fireplace insert in my full brick fireplace and chimney. Have had it for 5 years and wife and I love it. Burn most weeks 24/7.

We are building a new house in far northern WI. It is a 2200 sq foot chalet type. Vaulted ceilings in living room and kitchen facing the lake. I would like to run a stove but wife wants the fireplace and insert. She likes the look it brings to a room. Will place it against the stairs to loft and not n outside wall. So should put off more heat. Thinking of Hampton Hi500 because we like our current Hampton so much.

The twist and question - would like the block and stone fireplace to go about 7 foot tall with a stone cap then run class A pipe up and out. Almost like a soapstone unit.

something like -

https://i1.wp.com/solidrockmasonry.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/IMG_0850.jpg?fit=768,1024&ssl=1

Then I was thinking the liner could go up and out the chimney pipe.

Am I on the right track? Doable? Anyone I can check with?

Reason not to go all the way to the roof block and stone is money and I also like the look of the pipe coming out of the fireplace and visual.

Thanks All,

Instead of building a full masonry fireplace to house an insert, take a look at good high-efficiency ZC fireplaces. They can be stone-faced and look great while providing good heat. Some can be ducted too for better heat distribution. Look at fireplaces from RSF, Pacific Energy, FPX for examples.

Reactions: BKVP and Todd
I see no reason to build and pay for a full masonry chimney.
Instead of building a full masonry fireplace to house an insert, take a look at good high-efficiency ZC fireplaces. They can be stone-faced and look great while providing good heat. Some can be ducted too for better heat distribution. Look at fireplaces from RSF, Pacific Energy, FPX for examples.
Beat me to it.

Other think that can look nice is an alcove given the right stove (ones that have lower clearances. I always like this look from the blaze king brochure.
1688928035799.jpeg

Reactions: Todd
If she wants a big fire view then a fireplace is hard to beat.
I forgot to mention Astria . This one qualifies for the $2000 tax credit.

Thanks. ZC has crossed my mind but to admit with 24/7 burning made me a bit nervous and I can’t see their burn times listed.
Also with the fireplace being in the middle of the room against the stairs it looks like I would need to build a wood chase to the ceiling and then figure out what to wrap that chase in.

I was hoping she would go for this but no luck yet. Was hoping for BK Ashford against the stairs and will look something like this.

1688934251075.jpeg

Some ZCs are fine as 24/7 burners. The PE FP30 has the Summit firebox. There are also some cat ZC fireplaces. Look at some models and then read the reviews or reports on them on the forums.

Sounds similar to what we did. Attached photo of our recently completed (mostly - have to re-install the hearthstones permanently yet) Osburn Stratford II "zc". Note you will need to plan for an outside air intake. Heats well and good coals in the morning on a good hardwood load, but doesn't keep the furnace from kicking in when it's cold (Rhinelander area). "Stonework" is cast natural stone (lighter than real stone). Still had to have some additional LVL's instead of I-joists to carry the load.

Look into exterior wall framing technique's that use 2x4's 12" oc staggered inside then outside with 2x6 top and bottom plates to reduce thermal bridging. Wish I had done it.

IMG_20230419_132947.jpg

Just a FYI on a true masonry heater is that there are only intense flames to get a real hot burn initially. That will heat the mass and then it’s over unless you need another fire at the end of the day on a cold night. They work the best, look beautiful and cost some money. A great way to go if that is what you’re looking for. If one is looking to see flames for a long period, it is not.

I like your idea of the Ashford exactly in the picture you embedded. This will provide great heat and the look of a pipe all the way to a cathedral ceiling looks nice. Putting a fireplace there IMHO would not look the best but that is me.

As KDubU said, a masonry heater is another option to consider. Your first picture looks like a masonry heater to me. Maybe do some research on these things. Masonry Heaters are built on a different wood burning philosophy - you're just recharging the mass of rocks or bricks with your fire. And the mass is doing the heating even after the fire is gone (heating for 12 to 24 hours with no fire going).

This guy, Eric Mosier, is in your general area. He is a builder/teacher https://solidrockmasonry.com. He is a good resource, and he has probably trained masons that are in your area. Additionally, this Aussie explains Masonry Heaters well, .

Reactions: Todd
Look into exterior wall framing technique's that use 2x4's 12" oc staggered inside then outside with 2x6 top and bottom plates to reduce thermal bridging. Wish I had done it.
That is what my BIL did on his NY house in 1980. It has worked out very well. The house is quite easy to heat. Usually, it only takes a couple of cords of wood to heat per season.

With a cathedral ceiling great room, it won't be a big difference where the stove is located. Just make sure your not sitting on top of it. We tucked ours into a unused corner, The fire can be seen from anywhere in the room.

My wife wanted a fireplace in our new cabin. But the green Olso stove changed her mind. It's just a better fireplace. Even if you never use it for heat. We use ours for both the fire view and the heat. As to a nice stone wall, you can do a lot of things.

I like the look of a straight up chimney out of the stove. But it does take planning to create the chase through the rafters.

Thanks all. After a few long walks and some negotiation it looks like we are going with the stove. I am leaning BK Ashford. I told my wife if it really looks bare and it needs stone we can look at a gas horizontal fireplace on the outside wall with a stone surround. Appreciate everyone’s response.