New House - how to heat: boiler, wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aelllc

Mar 2, 2014
Wasilla
We are planning our new house and it is on a lot with many acres of wood to burn. It is a 2200 square foot two story home. We would like to heat the house with wood- what is the best option? Indoor wood/gas boiler, outdoor wood/gas boiler or just a wood stove. If we go the boiler route we would like one that is a combination one piece unit instead of having to buy two heating systems- something like the Yukon. We have no experience with this, what would everyone suggest. We can use all of the advice we can get as we would like to incorporate this into our plans before the house is built instead of retrofitting later.

Thanks

Exciting opportunity, unfortunately no "best" option, except one. Start now to put up your wood, at least two years estimated supply cut, split and stacked, so you are always burning 2nd year wood, well seasoned, and never get behind in the future. Down to nitty gritty. What follows doesn't fit you exactly, but it is the advice I gave to one of our children when he was looking to buy a house.

1. Good slopes/drainage away from the house on all sides. Failure here should rise to a deal breaker I think. Look at neighboring properties, what direction is their drainage -- NOT towards your property is important. Look for signs of water pooling in low areas in the yard, may indicate a high water table and potential ground water problems. Try to find out what was on the development site before the development: filled wetland? low areas? etc. It would be useful to take some core samples to see what the subsoil is like. That can tell you a lot about potential water and other ground issues.

2. Uncomplicated roof system. The more hips, valleys, dormers, peaks, etc., the more opportunity for future roof problems from water, snow and ice, and the more expensive to re-roof. Really steep roofs may look nice, but they are costly to work on.

3. Air quality. Many "newer" homes are quite tight. Look for an air to air exchanger system; look for very good bathroom and kitchen venting to get out the moisture from showers, tubs, cooking. Interior moisture is always a potential problem, and can be serious in a tight house. Look at interior window sash to find evidence of moisture condensation and dripping. There probably will be some, if you find none, excellent, but if a lot, I think it is good evidence of an interior moisture problem. Also check for dry rot and degraded sash from moisture; might be stained/varnished over to cover it up. Probably indicates an interior moisture problem if you find much of this.

4.Heating, cooling, ventilation. These are a long term utility cost issues which really add up. You are planning on wood. Obviously, insulate extremely well. Payback is forever. Look for a good mfr for windows. I think an R-factor of not less than 3 is essential (U-factor of .33 or less), but I would pay the price and look for 4 and better. Our windows are R-8 (U-0.12). and were very expensive, double or more in cost as compared to the top of the line windows of the time.

In general, low temperature radiant hot water is the best heat, IMO. If I ever built a house, that's what I would do though.

What can provide big long term savings is house siting to take advantage of natural passive solar heating in the fall/winter/spring and natural cooling from shading during the summer. This means siting that allows low angle sun into the house through windows when heat is wanted, and shading from large eves or deciduous trees during the summer. You don't want blazing sun into the house during the summer, even if blocked by shades/drapes. And the deciduous trees when their leaves are dropped and the eaves will let the low angle sun in during the winter.

Similarly, you want window placement which will provide flow-through ventilation from natural breezes. A whole house fan is something also to inquire about. Much less expensive to draw in cooler outside air when available than running an a/c.

Ceiling fans in bedrooms and other living spaces are good, reduce need for a/c.

Site for solar electric, solar hot water, etc. I never would build a house that did not allow for shade free solar. Solar can be a sizable expense up front, but it provides electricity and/or heat forever with minimal effort. We put in a 6500 watt solar system last October. Already has provided nearly 2 megawatts of electricity.

6. Maintenance free, the more the better. Windows, doors, siding, sofits, etc. I personally don't prefer plastics for siding, sofits, windows or doors, as I think plastics will degrade from UV over time, but data may show otherwise.

7. Decks. People love their decks, and love them better if stained. I would never stain a deck, it is an expensive, forever maintenance headache to maintain the stained look, based on our neighbors experience with their deck: about every 3 years power washing and new stain. We think naturally weathered gray wood looks good, and looks even better because it needs no power washing and staining.

8. Stained or painted cedar wood siding. Can work well, and then might not. Type of stain/paint and quality of wood makes a big difference. We have stained redwood (old) and cedar (new) siding which gets new stain about every 5 years on the heavy sun/weather exposed side and much less often on the other sides. Not too burdensome. Wood siding can be a problem with woodpeckers -- they search for insects which have made it behind the siding, they like to peck on wood and make holes into and nests behind the siding. Some houses/areas have a big problem with woodpeckers. A friend of ours resided the house with a non-wood siding because of woodpecker problems.

=====

As I write this, I see your temp is +19F. Our is -20F and expected to be near -30F by dawn. Build to save energy in the future. I doubt you can go wrong on that choice.

Exciting opportunity, unfortunately no "best" option, except one. Start now to put up your wood, at least two years estimated supply cut, split and stacked, so you are always burning 2nd year wood, well seasoned, and never get behind in the future. Down to nitty gritty. What follows doesn't fit you exactly, but it is the advice I gave to one of our children when he was looking to buy a house.

1. Good slopes/drainage away from the house on all sides. Failure here should rise to a deal breaker I think. Look at neighboring properties, what direction is their drainage -- NOT towards your property is important. Look for signs of water pooling in low areas in the yard, may indicate a high water table and potential ground water problems. Try to find out what was on the development site before the development: filled wetland? low areas? etc. It would be useful to take some core samples to see what the subsoil is like. That can tell you a lot about potential water and other ground issues.

2. Uncomplicated roof system. The more hips, valleys, dormers, peaks, etc., the more opportunity for future roof problems from water, snow and ice, and the more expensive to re-roof. Really steep roofs may look nice, but they are costly to work on.

3. Air quality. Many "newer" homes are quite tight. Look for an air to air exchanger system; look for very good bathroom and kitchen venting to get out the moisture from showers, tubs, cooking. Interior moisture is always a potential problem, and can be serious in a tight house. Look at interior window sash to find evidence of moisture condensation and dripping. There probably will be some, if you find none, excellent, but if a lot, I think it is good evidence of an interior moisture problem. Also check for dry rot and degraded sash from moisture; might be stained/varnished over to cover it up. Probably indicates an interior moisture problem if you find much of this.

4.Heating, cooling, ventilation. These are a long term utility cost issues which really add up. You are planning on wood. Obviously, insulate extremely well. Payback is forever. Look for a good mfr for windows. I think an R-factor of not less than 3 is essential (U-factor of .33 or less), but I would pay the price and look for 4 and better. Our windows are R-8 (U-0.12). and were very expensive, double or more in cost as compared to the top of the line windows of the time.

In general, low temperature radiant hot water is the best heat, IMO. If I ever built a house, that's what I would do though.

What can provide big long term savings is house siting to take advantage of natural passive solar heating in the fall/winter/spring and natural cooling from shading during the summer. This means siting that allows low angle sun into the house through windows when heat is wanted, and shading from large eves or deciduous trees during the summer. You don't want blazing sun into the house during the summer, even if blocked by shades/drapes. And the deciduous trees when their leaves are dropped and the eaves will let the low angle sun in during the winter.

Similarly, you want window placement which will provide flow-through ventilation from natural breezes. A whole house fan is something also to inquire about. Much less expensive to draw in cooler outside air when available than running an a/c.

Ceiling fans in bedrooms and other living spaces are good, reduce need for a/c.

Site for solar electric, solar hot water, etc. I never would build a house that did not allow for shade free solar. Solar can be a sizable expense up front, but it provides electricity and/or heat forever with minimal effort. We put in a 6500 watt solar system last October. Already has provided nearly 2 megawatts of electricity.

6. Maintenance free, the more the better. Windows, doors, siding, sofits, etc. I personally don't prefer plastics for siding, sofits, windows or doors, as I think plastics will degrade from UV over time, but data may show otherwise.

7. Decks. People love their decks, and love them better if stained. I would never stain a deck, it is an expensive, forever maintenance headache to maintain the stained look, based on our neighbors experience with their deck: about every 3 years power washing and new stain. We think naturally weathered gray wood looks good, and looks even better because it needs no power washing and staining.

8. Stained or painted cedar wood siding. Can work well, and then might not. Type of stain/paint and quality of wood makes a big difference. We have stained redwood (old) and cedar (new) siding which gets new stain about every 5 years on the heavy sun/weather exposed side and much less often on the other sides. Not too burdensome. Wood siding can be a problem with woodpeckers -- they search for insects which have made it behind the siding, they like to peck on wood and make holes into and nests behind the siding. Some houses/areas have a big problem with woodpeckers. A friend of ours resided the house with a non-wood siding because of woodpecker problems.

=====

As I write this, I see your temp is +19F. Our is -20F and expected to be near -30F by dawn. Build to save energy in the future. I doubt you can go wrong on that choice.
If you learned all that through experience, then you have lived the same life as I have. Including the woodpeckers<>

A stove is a space heater - I don't think I would plan on heating a 2200 sq.ft. two storey with just a space heater.

You mention gas - so you have access to NG? You have lots of potential up front with new construction to build something that won't have big heat demand - if NG is in the picture, I think I might lean primarily to that with a stove as a supplement.

Have you decided on hydronic? Or is even that still up in the air? Hydronic simply can't be beat for comfortable heat - if you get the design & insulation aspects right, and pay attention to which way the sun is coming from, and incorporate radiant low-temp hydronics, I think it would be hard to argue against a NG boiler. Even if you don't get it completely sorted out now - if you put in a stainless chimney now you should be set up for all kinds of future options. That would be a relatively easy thing to do while building - not so much later.

That kind of went circular a bit...

R-40 walls/R-60 ceilings. By far my biggest regret on how I built my house...R-19 walls/R-30 ceilings. I've come close to ripping out the sheetrock on my outisde walls, room by room and foaming walls.

As jebatty said, if you plan on doing wood, cut/split/stack now. minimum of 1 yr preferred 2 yrs seasoned.

We are planning our new house and it is on a lot with many acres of wood to burn. It is a 2200 square foot two story home. We would like to heat the house with wood- what is the best option? Indoor wood/gas boiler, outdoor wood/gas boiler or just a wood stove. If we go the boiler route we would like one that is a combination one piece unit instead of having to buy two heating systems- something like the Yukon. We have no experience with this, what would everyone suggest. We can use all of the advice we can get as we would like to incorporate this into our plans before the house is built instead of retrofitting later.

Thanks

1st, the Yukon is a furnace not a boiler. Boiler is water, furnace is air. Are you going to have AC. If you have ducted ac then a gas furnace with a wood furnace tied in would work well. Combo units do not give the best heat in either mode.

Thanks

We heated a 1700 square foot house with a Pacific Energy wood stove in Michigan's lower peninsula. A big open floorplan with bedrooms at the far end made it possible. Having the fire inside and a couple recliners next to the stove is just awesome in the evening, but you need to build yourself a convenient way to deal with bringing wood in, taking ashes out, and cleaning up some bark and dirt. You will also have some airborne ash and occasional smoke.

I had a cough when we were burning wood. I don't know if it was ash or smoke related or something else, so I wanted the boiler in my new (to us) house outside. The shed is right behind the attached garage, literally two steps out the back door, unfortunately I didn't get it hooked up before the start of real cold temperatures this year.

I would not recommend a combination unit. Take a very careful look at how often you will be home, and how often you will be gone, and how often you will be lazy. If you are set on providing as much of your heat requirement with wood as possible, incorporate storage. If you will be burning to take most of the edge off the heating bill during the winter, and easing back in spring and fall, look at a pellet boiler or a wood boiler and an efficient gas or electric boiler for back up.

The general construction advice above is great.

Simple roof lines with only two penetrations: one for your plumbing stack, and another for your boiler flue if you keep it inside. Easy for you to walk on and replace a shingle or two, but still sheds water well.

Go with a premium vinyl or cement board siding, not wood. Wood is beautiful, but maintaining it when it is outdoors is terrible.
That 1700 sq ft house we used to own had nice D log siding. Not nice to maintain.

Skip the deck entirely, and put down concrete, stamped concrete, or patio pavers.

Give special attention to drainage and keeping your basement dry if you have one. I will never build or buy a house without a daylight drainage system around the basement.

Thank you for the ideas. It sounds like many of us have lived in homes without good drainage. Definitely want to avoid that in the new house.

We are doing a simple rectangle with simple roof lines. Definitely will go as high R-value on window and insulation as we can afford.

As far as heating, radiant heat systems with an indoor wood boiler sound like a very efficient way to go. Does anyone have experience with this? Do you need a backup gas system if you do this or could you run it all on a wood boiler?

Should be able to supply all your heat with the wood boiler. But you're probably gonna need a electirc or gas or some kind of fossil fuel burner to keep the bank happy. They consider wood a type of back up heat.

Having been a builder for 25 years and having grown up as the son of carpenter, I have been around home building for over 50 years. In that time many new materials and processes. The whole "green building" movement is really a quality movement. If I had alot of time I would comment on some of the previous posts. But, I have got to roll today.
The one item that is a constant with everyone; Remember: High and Dry. Poor drainage around a house is the most damaging and the least noticeable in a home. Over the years ALL the nice homes I have seen, worked on and built all have had good drainage or a good water management plan. It is money well spent.
Good luck on the house.

Reactions: flyingcow
One of the best things I ever did was to remodel an area of my home and make it an attached and heated garage. The building was already there and attached, but it had a crawl space under what use to be a ground level apartment. As soon as I could afford it , I tore the apartment out and got rid of the crawl space. I hired a good concrete contractor and had him install the heat lines through the floor. Having a heated garage is the cats ass! Period. Having one that is heated with wood is even better. I set the thermostat at 45 degrees and we no longer have to deal with frost, cold vehicles, brushing snow/ice off of them, storm/hail/tree damage, etc., etc.

If you can afford it, have an attached garage and enough separate storage that you can keep your vehicles in it!

Reactions: flyingcow
Status
Not open for further replies.