New insert cracked fire brick???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Speed trap

Oct 31, 2014
Indiana
My hampton insert was installed on Friday and I burned all weekend. Tonight I was cleaning out some ash and noticed one of the fire bricks on the side is cracked. Did I get it to hot during the break in???

could of had a hairline fracture from being moved/installed. I think you can buy 3 firebrick for like $10, just buy a pack as spares and replace as needed.

Call your dealer. I've had a couple of bricks crack in our Regency insert and they were replaced n/c. Not uncommon, possibly some moisture from shipping, a nice hot fire and maybe a bump from a split - voila, 1 cracked brick.

And to mention...A crack doesn't really hurt anything as long as the brick stays in place.

Hairline cracks are a non issue most of the time. A crumbling brick, on the other hand needs to be replaced. As mentioned, a fresh crack in a brick on a new stove is common. I'd take advantage it being new and see if you can get the dealer to play nice. In regards to warranty:

.Exclusions: This limited Lifetime Warranty does not extend to or include paint, door or glass gasketing, fi rebrick or trim. It does not cover installation and operational related problems such as over-fi ring, use of corrosive driftwood, downdrafts or spillage caused by environmental conditions, nearby trees, buildings, hilltops, mountains, inadequate venting or ventilation, excessive offsets, negative air pressures caused by mechanical systems such as furnaces, fans, clothes dryers etc.

The other suggestion about buying a box of bricks to have on hand is an excellent one.

Reactions: DAKSY
Status
Not open for further replies.