New Insert, Old Fireplace, raising the floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleeper-6

Nov 16, 2014
Hunterdon County, NJ
New stove owner here in the Middle of an install. I read here the instructions for my insert and from what I can understand, my insert requires R2 under it and 16" in front OR R2 underneath and only ember protection out 16" in front if the insert is 4" or more above the floor. Since I do not know the exact construction of the existing fireplace I figured I would meet the R2 requirement for the raised section go with ember protection flush with the existion floor for the required distance from the door. Raising the entire hearth. The fire place sits too close to the stairs and raising the entire hearh would create a nasty tripping hazard.

For materials I went a little unconventional. I need to keep the finished height as close to exactly 4" as possible to avoid height problems with the top of the stove. Trying to find Micore was a real PITA, and Duorock would stack up too high. However masonry Perlite and Portland cement was easy to find. Mixed a 5 parts perlite to 1 part Portland it should have a K value of 0.71. That gives my 2" base an r value of about 2.8, More than enough to meet the requirements of my insert. I plan to top the base with a limestone hearth in front and 2" cement blocks under the rear of the insert. Here's my progress so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 298
It's in! The block and hearth stone are mortared in place, Liner connected and insert is set. I still have to extend the section of the hearth that is flush with the floor out about 8 inches for ember protection. I plan on keeping with the slate look, I have enough around the house to use a few pieces to complete the job. Don't mind the dirty glass. I did a few test burns outside to cure the paint and get rid of some of the initial smell and smoke.IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0014.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.