new install chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2013
SE Iowa
Newbie here with my first question. I have been burning corn for the last 7-8 years but have decided to put in a wood stove. I just looked and the existing chimney in the house is a Heatilator Mark 700 chimney. I have searched the net but have found no real info on it. Can I plumb directly into the existing chimney? If not can I just re-line the Heatilator chimney? Thanks in advance!

Greetings. The safer bet would be to plan on relining. Most modern inserts and stoves take a 6" flue, while the heatilator probably is much larger (9"?) and not rated 2100F. The chimney should be thoroughly cleaned and inspected before lining.

Last edited:
Great, thank you. I bought a used Jotul f600. I planned on going to the local stove dealer tomorrow but I wanted to do a little research myself today. Thanks

How tall is the chimney? If it is short and exterior, you may want to install an insulated liner to help draft.

How tall is the chimney? If it is short and exterior, you may want to install an insulated liner to help draft.

I am not sure what you are asking, overall chimney length? The stove will be in the basement of a split foyer. I am not home to measure it right now but I would guess 15' overall with 3' of that on the exterior.

15ft is the minimum for a straight up flue. With rear exit stoves a little more height is desirable because of the 90 deg turn in the exhaust path. Be sure to pitch the horiz. pipe coming out of the stove at least 1/4" per foot (more is better) upward toward the chimney to help draft.

15ft is the minimum for a straight up flue. With rear exit stoves a little more height is desirable because of the 90 deg turn in the exhaust path. Be sure to pitch the horiz. pipe coming out of the stove at least 1/4" per foot (more is better) upward toward the chimney to help draft.

The Jotul is out the top. There will also be another 5' or so of chimney when we add the basement distance. Is there anywhere online where I can look at different liners? I am a do it yourself type of guy. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.