New Install of Old Jotul F500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyseattle

Oct 10, 2011
Seattle Area
Hi,
After deciding I needed a wood burner, I found this site and have enjoyed it since. Nervously bought a used Jotul F500, inspected it for cracks and did the dollar bill test as recommended in various places here and made the plunge. Next the install, due to financial concerns I was not able to install as most recommend on this site, with a new liner in my old chimney, so I installed it using the specifications in the Jotul manual, My venting out is like
a89b8fc8.gif
, the stove pipe vents into the existing clay liner, which is wrapped in Concrete blocks and then with Bricks on 3 sides. The existing chimney is in the middle of the house and extends 22' up. The liner is 13 X 13, which seems to be too big, but again the manual said as long as it is not over 3x the size of the stove pipe, which is 6', then it is OK. Sealed the bottom of the chimney with sheetmetal and rockwool and we are thrilled!
A couple of observations, hopefully some can comment on them,
When starting a fire, I only need a little kindling, because I open the bottom, ash pan door for a few minutes, and the airflow reminds me of a jet engine, the wood starts very easy, then I close the ash pan door, some say if you leave that open, the stove becomes a furnace.
Also, I need to get alot of coals before I can turn it down effectively, and, full open just does not seem to produce enough air, I usually leave the front door slightly cracked until I get real hot.
Using a basic magnetic thermometer, I have never got it over 500 degrees, 400 seems to be the sweet spot, but of course then our 36' x 30' great room, with 18' or so lofted ceilings get too hot. My perpetually cold wife is thrilled.
About the low air flow, I took off the doghouse cover and everything seems fine
419ef70d.gif
, I put a vacumme in the opening and the only air that came out was from the back area where the outside air kit is supposed to attach.
1f0eaea6.gif

If I am not using the outside air kit, should I try to take that off?
Thanks for your help
Here is the happy stove
7dc08113.gif

Please take a look at the writing casted into the back of your ashpan door next time you open it. That practice is a dangerous one to continue with. As far as your draft goes ....i would recommend super cedars. they do a great job of warming the flue for you and if you messaged thomas on here he will even send you a free sample to try out.

+1 It sounds like you are experiencing weak draft which is not surprising given the large flue throat and our current mild weather. SuperCedars are made locally and are great fire starters. Jotul very specifically warns against using the ash pan door to start the fire. You can crack the bottom grate or worse yet, the stove base by doing this. That is a very expensive repair. Instead, leave the door ajar a little until the fire is going. Draft should get better once our temperatures drop into the lower 40's.

The stove looks great in that setting. But the chimney concerns me. Did you have a professional sweep clean and check out this chimney? It should be clean and inspected for cracks that may have formed during the last earthquake. Putting in a liner will greatly increase safety, ease of cleaning and draft.

A ceiling fan, blowing upward (reversed) really will help with the heat stratification in the ceiling peak. If you don't have this than maybe take a table fan an point it upward to help stir the air?

PS: Welcome to the forums!

Cross section on a 6" diameter connector is about 28 in ² . Net cross section on a standard 13" x 13" flue is about 114 in ² . Seems like your flue is about 4 times the size of the collar on the stove.

I don't have enough stove/fireplace flue experience to know what this may mean with regard to stove power. Others may be able to comment on that.

Stove looks great in that setting.

Yeah draft in that chimney is going to be a problem. As well as being hard to clean. I tried burning two different Jotul stoves into a 7X11 clay tile chimney 33 feet tall and was disappointed. Well, until I lined. World of difference.

That is one huge fireplace you have there. The Oslo does look very nice there too. It looks like (from looking at the outside) you got a good deal on a used stove, it looks new. As the others have already commented, I too cringed when I saw the flue setup. My concern would be if you can't get a proper SS flue installed this year for budgetary reasons try hard to get one for next year. Your draft and your safety will thank you. Good luck.

Nothing new to add here except . . .

Break yourself of the ash pan habit . . . it's far better in the long run to just keep the side or front door ajar.

Right now with the shoulder season temps and your particular set up it may be a challenge to get a good draft . . . folks are able to warm up their flue and establish a draft by using hair dryers, Super Cedars, lighting some balled up newspaper, running a propane torch in the firebox for a few minutes, etc. Best long term solution would be a liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.