New install, older stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
Well my first liner install went as expected........PITA. Everything I thought was gonna be easy was really hard, and everything I thought was gonna be hard.....was harder. This install was for function not looks this time. The money spent on the liner was all there was in the budget for this job,the wife wants a new kitchen, estimate with me doing all the labor $9,000.

6" liner, wool insulation, block off plate and terracotta cap. I painted the inside of the hearth to cover the nasty steal lining. I managed to get this done today with a 2y/o at home and one buddy for 30min. The whole job took all day, but I had everything ready when he got here. :-/ I hope to have the money for a BK princess insert in a few years. At that time I would love to stone the fireplace and replace the hearth and mantle.

I have a NC-13 in the front of the house (U shaped 1800-2000sqft ranch, never really measured) and this Quad 400 in the tv room. This stove is more for the really cold nights and weekends. The NC-13 does a fine job during the day and above 30* temps which is our avg here.

Thanks for looking,
Charlie

Attachments

• New Quad.jpg
    New Quad.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 242
Have I ever mentioned that I love hearth stoves?

BrotherBart said:
Have I ever mentioned that I love hearth stoves?

I recall you saying something about a steel stove. Once. :coolhmm:

Looks like it was meant to be there. Nice job.

Looks great! I'm also a big fan of hearth stoves.

Thanks guys,

This fireplace has always had a slam insert in it since we moved in(the house came with a cheapy untit I had to use for a few years). I put a buck insert in last year but couldn't justify buying a 8" liner when I know most stoves run on 6. So I used the smoke dragon for a year. The slam install had horrible draft. It feels good to have both stoves updated now and both have safe working chimneys.

My only concern is cleaning the liner because of the "S" bend going through the damper area. It's not a very sharp bend but the bends are "back to back", so I worry about the push rods not having enough flex and damaging the liner.

What type of brush/rods should I get for this liner? Synthetic?

Charlie

Just have to say that while the install may have been a pain and you may want a different stove, the one there now looks pretty darn good . . . and I suspect that come wintertime you'll appreciate the look of it and the time it took to get it installed even more. Great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.