New install, painted hearth disaster?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jgood26

Sep 25, 2017
MD
Just purchased an older home and as winter approaches I decided to do something about our heating situation by removing an old stove and installing a new Englander 2400. While I had the old stove out and was still waiting for the new one to arrive we decided to paint the hearth. I admittedly didn’t do as much research as I should have and just asked the paint clerk at Home Depot for a recommendation for painting the hearth. We walked away with some behr latex int/ext concrete/brick paint. We painted and it looks great but I’ve since read that this might have been a horrible idea. I’ve attached a picture of where we’re at now. I have some double walled vent pipe on the way so that’ll protect the wall but I’m wondering if I’m going to get the floor underneath too hot that it’ll ruin the paint or is it far enough off the ground? Is it even possible to go over this paint with something rated for higher temp? Hoping there is some way to salvage this situation. Any help would be appreciated!

IMG_6218.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a hearth painted with Sherwin Williams interior paint. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We painted our heath/ chimney with regular interior Ben Moore paint...have a HI300 insert...12 years and running and its fine. Scratched paint from fireplace tools, wood etc...but not a prob with the heat. Worst case is it will slowly discolor over the year...but I really doubt it.

Our insert burns 24/7 in the cold months and the brick above the stove gets warm to the touch (not hot, but definitely not luke warm) and the paint is doing great.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for the replies! Definitely puts me at ease a bit more about it. My chimney sweep asked what I used and said I should have gone with a high temp paint. With some more research I saw some people talking about peeling and fumes from using latex paint but those were probably open flame setups. Either way it may be something I have to live with for the winter.

I'm sure it'll be fine, and maybe somebody else can chime in.. is the drop ceiling going to be any issue with the rising heat??

The only issue with the painted floor is that you will constantly be picking up wood crumbs, invest in a small dust buster and you will be good to go.

if you meet all the clearance requirements for your stove you should have no problems with paint on the walls. As for the floor, that might depend on the R value requirement of your stove (1.5 R) a couple good hot fires will tell for sure.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
I'm sure it'll be fine, and maybe somebody else can chime in.. is the drop ceiling going to be any issue with the rising heat??

I have drop ceiling in my downstairs as well where the stove is, no issue. Those tiles are pretty fire resistant. I've tried to burn scrap ones in a bonfire pit out back and it took forever for them to even catch fire.

To the original poster regarding paint, I think you'll be fine. High Heat paints are meant for very high heat, not like 150-200 degrees but more like hundreds of degrees, up to 1500 on some.

Your sweep isn't going to thank you for that white paint.

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
if you meet all the clearance requirements for your stove you should have no problems with paint on the walls. As for the floor, that might depend on the R value requirement of your stove (1.5 R) a couple good hot fires will tell for sure.
Is that install considered an alcove that requires more clearances to the wall?

Is that install considered an alcove that requires more clearances to the wall?
No, it's a corner install. The ceiling height requirement looks a bit dubious here, but perhaps the drop ceiling panels are non-combustible?

As far as I understand from my neighbor the drop ceiling has been there for a while and with the old stove running. Definitely put my mind at ease about the paint though, thanks again all. Will post again after our first couple days if we have any peeling or discoloring immediately.

Verify your clearances for the ceiling, either you have them or you don't. And find out what material it is.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
White never stays white. That's all I have to say.

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC