New install with a cathedral ceiling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jal367

Sep 12, 2022
Tuftonboro
Mod Edit: Moved from 2 yr old thread to this new one.

That's my Oslo corner installation. The chimney, single wall, goes straight up to the ceiling box where it becomes double wall. Looks great inside. The ceiling / roof is 12 /12 pitch. I have a side porch roof 5/12 pitch.it intersects the main roof. The chimney is tall at the back of the house. It has braces back to the main roof. Actually we think it looks fine for a woods cabin. The only concern is cleaning. I can do a top down by removing the top section. The shed side roof that I can stand on makes this possible. I would't do what your proposing.
Can you provide a pic of the pipe outside? I am debating on this same set up, but am struggling with the aesthetic outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all! I have a question.. I am wanting to install a stove in the corner of a family room. It has a cathedral ceiling on a 12/12 pitch.. I want to put the stove in a corner and run the stove pipe up and along the roof line in the interior until I reach near the peak and then exit through the roof. The reason is to be aesthetically pleasing on the exterior because if I bring the chimney straight up from the corner I will have a rather large stack above the roof line and It will be at the bottom of the roof on a 12/12 pitch.. I don't think this will look the best. I found this old thread (I couldn't reply or bump it) that really explains closely what I am trying to do..

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/wood-stove-install-cathedral-ceiling.124206/

I just wanted to get some opinions and see if there are any reasons I definitely should not install this way... please don't hold back, I wanna know if there are some blatant "wrongs" to this style of install. Thank you!
What did you end up doing? I am in the same exact predicament right now, and mainly cannot decide because of the amount of pipe needed.

Steep roofs call for a good chicken ladder.

12:12 pitch==corner install== 6 foot overhang

IMG_2564.JPG

Last edited:
So many of these are instilled well within the 3 foot rule makes me wonder why its a rule. as almost no one has a 1inch air gap and for there heat shields.

So many of these are instilled well within the 3 foot rule makes me wonder why its a rule. as almost no one has a 1inch air gap and for there heat shields.
Many people also still don't wear seatbelts drive drunk etc etc. You only get away with living dangerously until things go wrong. These rules were put in place over time as we figured out what works best and what is safest. Yes you may be able to get away without following those rules for a long time. But if you don't get away with it bad stuff happens

Also, many stoves allow to be installed with less clearance distance, because of the shielding that is part of the design and testing of the stove.
If no clearance is listed in the manual and if no UL listing is available, then the requirements default to 3 ft.

This really depends on the stove. Most modern stoves have clearances less than 3 ft. Some are down to 3-6" due to rear and side shielding built into the stove. The connector pipe used can also determine clearances. Single-wall needs 18", while double-wall need 6". Our stove has 3" corner clearance when installed with double-wall connector pipe in spite of being a large stove. There is only drywall behind it. No wall shielding is required as long as the clearance requirements are met or exceeded.

T6_n_cat.jpg
What stove are you thinking of installing?

Also, many stoves allow to be installed with less clearance distance, because of the shielding that is part of the design and testing of the stove.
If no clearance is listed in the manual and if no UL listing is available, then the requirements default to 3 ft.
I get what you and be green are both saying. But i was told by mfg that local and state regulations supersede the mfg. if thats true shouldnt ever stove be in the middle of a ten foot cir if the house has wood studs. Unless of course you have “
Reduced clearances are acceptable for the following:
  • an engineered protection system approved by the inspecting authority having jurisdiction
  • products and materials listed for protection purposes
  • a non-combustible protector mounted an inch or more away from a combustible wall to allow free circulation of air behind it
The reduction is specified by NFPA and most codes. For example, when required clearance with no protection is 36 inches, a 3 1/2-inch-thick masonry wall with ventilated air space used as a wall protector, reduces clearance by maximum of 66 percent, to 12 inches from the combustible wall.”

But i about never see that.

This is correct for an unlisted stove. What stove are you asking about?

For a UL tested and listed stove, the tested clearances are the rule.

Indeed: unlisted, as in not UL-listed (or equivalent, if there is). The UL listing gives clearances for which the stove has been tested to be safe.
If no such listing exists, and thus no testing has been done, then the default is 3 ft.

And to my understanding "local regulations supercede mfg" is not correct. The mfg gives data in the manual, and (if listed) those data rule the day.

Only if non-listed, then it's 3 ft.

There is another thread by the OP asking for info on a BK (ash pan and leg).

If a BK is in the works (or any other modern listed stove), it is legal to go by what the manual says.

Many people also still don't wear seatbelts drive drunk etc etc. You only get away with living dangerously until things go wrong. These rules were put in place over time as we figured out what works best and what is safest. Yes you may be able to get away without following those rules for a long time. But if you don't get away with it bad stuff happens
Right... and the insurance company is not covering you

Reactions: bholler
I get what you and be green are both saying. But i was told by mfg that local and state regulations supersede the mfg. if thats true shouldnt ever stove be in the middle of a ten foot cir if the house has wood studs. Unless of course you have “
Reduced clearances are acceptable for the following:
  • an engineered protection system approved by the inspecting authority having jurisdiction
  • products and materials listed for protection purposes
  • a non-combustible protector mounted an inch or more away from a combustible wall to allow free circulation of air behind it
The reduction is specified by NFPA and most codes. For example, when required clearance with no protection is 36 inches, a 3 1/2-inch-thick masonry wall with ventilated air space used as a wall protector, reduces clearance by maximum of 66 percent, to 12 inches from the combustible wall.”

But i about never see that.
Technically code can supercede manufacturers instructions. But all codes regarding listed appliances components or systems give the requirements for unlisted but then gives an exception saying for listed appliances follow manufacturers directions

Technically code can supercede manufacturers instructions. But all codes regarding listed appliances components or systems give the requirements for unlisted but then gives an exception saying for listed appliances follow manufacturers directions
Thank you! I was wondering why they said that when i emailed the mfg.

Thank you! I was wondering why they said that when i emailed the mfg.
In general what they told you is not accurate though. It is extremely rare that they would change code to supercede manufacturers instructions. The only example I can think of is that some early listed inserts were allowed to be installed with no connection. They then changed code to disallow that with no exemption

We still don't know which stove this is for.

Reactions: begreen and Teachme
The BK40 has UL tested specific clearances in the manual.