New Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jblood

Oct 18, 2010
Southern Michigan
Well, after a year of lurking on this site and doing research, I have finally completed an insert installation. Here are the details:

Insert: Regency CI1200
Liner: Magnaflex Insulflex stainless steel insulated flex liner – 6†ID
Original fireplace: MHSC BR42 prefab
Original Chimney: Double wall prefab 8 “ ID inner tube

Damper Removal: sawzall (messy but easy)

Liner Install: After attempting a bottom up unsuccessfully, I routed from top down. I had two successive bends to navigate which caused some difficulty in the last 48â€. I had to fashion a pulling fixture using my boat winch and some wood.

Adapter Connection: I used the offset adapter supplied with the stove an the adapter collar supllied with the magnaflex kit. I used furnace cement to seal the connections.
Blockoff Plate: I stuffed some insulation from the extra length of liner between the ss liner and existing chimney pipe at the damper opening. Then I made a blockoff plate from 26GA ss that I got from a local metal supply for $8. I secured this to the fireplace ceiling with sheet metal screws and sealed with furnace cement at the ceiling and at the pipe perimeter.

Chimney Top: Secured the liner with 3 sheet metal screws to the existing 8†chimney tube and cutoff the liner about an inch above the existing opening. Then, I replaced the existing rain cap (did not use the collar or rain cap supplied with the magnaflex kit).

Insert: This was the easiest part although needed help lifting into place.

First fire went great. Modest heat due to size and no blower but way better than existing fireplace. I plan to experiment and create an add- on blower that will sit below the insert and on the hearth later. I was reluctant to show pics of the finished product just yet because of the openings in the stone on either side of the insert. But, my plan is to extend that stonework to fill the gaps. I am uncertain when that will actually get done though so I figured I share now. It’s functional! The people and animals are happy! It’s good to be an official member now even if it is just a little guy.

Link to pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/jblood98/InsertInstall?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the install.. How about some pics? :)

Ray

Thanks Ray! - there is a link to pics in the post.

Best of luck and nice install...its always nice when ya can do the install yourself and save a few bucks.........

Pics (1)

Attachments

• IMG_1267_1.jpg
    IMG_1267_1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_1271_1.jpg
    IMG_1271_1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_1282_1.jpg
    IMG_1282_1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_1286_1.jpg
    IMG_1286_1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_1301_1.jpg
    IMG_1301_1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_1302_1.jpg
    IMG_1302_1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_1305_1.jpg
    IMG_1305_1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_1311_1_1.jpg
    IMG_1311_1_1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 505
Thanks Joey! I love the diy part of it. Probably the most fun although I'm not really looking forward to the stone work but it will be worth it. This forum has been very helpful in considering details before I got to work. Hopefully somone else will benefit from my experience.

Happy Burning!

Attachments

• IMG_1328_1_1.jpg
    IMG_1328_1_1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_1334_1_1.jpg
    IMG_1334_1_1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_1335_3_1.jpg
    IMG_1335_3_1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_1337_3_1.jpg
    IMG_1337_3_1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_1338_9_1.jpg
    IMG_1338_9_1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 477
Nice job !!! The Lab approves.

Very nice job and insert j!

Ray

If the dogs/cats/critters are lying in front of it, it's good job !!!

The finished product looks wonderful :)

You saved yourself a lot of money. Nice job. nice hearth too. Is that an ask bucket on the carpet?

Lol ! Yes it is an ash bucket. I knew that would get me busted. It is empty at the moment and will not stay there - I promise!

That insert looks a LOT bigger than the claimed 1.4 cu ft firebox that Regency lists it as.

It will fit 4 avearge size splits 18" long (maybe 5 if you add a small one) and that is packed.

Pictures tell a great story. Good job. We had very similar challenges to overcome taking a lot of study/effort learning along the "do it yourself path". Thanks for sharing. Teach the young one proper stove safety. Couple more years and he'll be swinging a splitt'n axe for ya! (if you are willing to share the fun) Nothing compares to setting by the fire! Cold here today so will be roughing it in my easy chair watching the stove and goofing around on the PC. I miss my chainsaw so may have to visit it later today, that is much of the fun too!

Looks great, welcome!
Fire going, dogs loving it, well done!

Awesome job on the install and documentation. The pics are great as well. I really like the light flagstone hearth.

Status
Not open for further replies.