New Installation questions - is this right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kenwhelan

Oct 20, 2022
Springdale, AR
I have been struggling getting an install done, Really don't like what the installer has done. There is only about 2-2.5" of clearance to from the top of the stove to the brick in the fireplace. Barely enough room to get the stove in place. I know very little about this process this is my first time through an install.

So all through the process the guy is complaining that it is so tight he can't get the pipe hooked up and then he packs black goo all around it. . . A sealant of some sort not sure what. He's supposedly done with this process but if I stick a flashlight pointing straight up in the stove, I can see light coming through where the vent pipe mates with the stove.

I go read the instructions and there is specific instructions on how to handle a tight fit. So this is what they show.

2022-10-20_08-35-35.png

That requires it to be done prior to putting the stove in the hole and then dropping the inner collar down into the stove and screwing it down.

This is what it looks like from the inside.

2022-10-20_13-34-16.png2022-10-20_08-32-12.png

Notice how parts of the pipe are on the inside of the ring and parts are on the outside of the ring. I don't see how it is possible for him to get a good seal on this without pulling the stove and doing this using the alternative method due to clearance issues.

I will post pictures of the top of the stove later this evening.

Would appreciate some opinions on how I should proceed.

Sorry to see this. The insert maker had an easy solution. The flex liner should not have screws through it. Was a band clamp adapter used at the flue collar?

Sorry to see this. The insert maker had an easy solution. The flex liner should not have screws through it. Was a band clamp adapter used at the flue collar?
He's not done with the install and I haven't finished paying for it so I need to get it fixed while I still have leverage.

Can you post a picture of the top at the flue collar?

There should be no need for sealant and usually, if stove cement, it flakes off. What is left to be done?

There should be no need for sealant and usually, if stove cement, it flakes off. What is left to be done?
The whole thing has been on backorder for a year, the top finally came in this week. The stove top has to be put on and they did a crap job on putting the cap on he top of the chimney so they need to fix that, also the flashing (backplates) around the stove has to be put on as well. . . whatever that is called. I am thinking they need to pull the stove to fix that mess with the sealant and the pipe.

Last edited:
The whole thing has been on backorder for a year, the top finally came in this week. The stove top has to be put on and they did a crap job on putting the cap on he top of the chimney so they need to fix that, also the flashing (backplates) around the stove has to be put on as well. . . whatever that is called. I am thinking they need to pull the stove to fix that mess with the sealant and the pipe.
Here is the picture from the outside. Can’t see much there

C77E608F-DFBF-4E85-930D-09107F5BDDA6.jpeg

So I think this got moved to a different channel and I don't think anyone is seeing it. . My question here, Is this bad enough that I make them pull the stove and do it all over again or should I just ignore it. Is it likely that I will have problems in the future with it. I probably shouldn't have started this with the name of the stove as this post has nothing to do with the brand of stove.

The top picture is helpful, but confusing. It looks like the liner is placed in a tall sleeve. That may work ok but I haven't seen this before. I mainly wanted to see if silicone was used as the sealant. That would not be appropriate. This looks more like stove cement which is ok. It's too bad the installer didn't read the manual first. It would have been a neater install and easier.

Was the chimney completely cleaned before the installation? The top of the insert should be clean, not covered with ash and charcoal pieces.

I'll change the title and move this to the main forum for more eyeballs though the installation method is specific to the Montlake.

The top picture is helpful, but confusing. It looks like the liner is placed in a tall sleeve. That may work ok but I haven't seen this before. I mainly wanted to see if silicone was used as the sealant. That would not be appropriate. This looks more like stove cement which is ok. It's too bad the installer didn't read the manual first. It would have been a neater install and easier.

Was the chimney completely cleaned before the installation? The top of the insert should be clean, not covered with ash and charcoal pieces.

I'll change the title and move this to the main forum for more eyeballs though the installation method is specific to the Montlake.
Good catch on the ash and such on the top of the stove. They did some cleaning but it wasn't a thorough cleaning like it should have been. Something else that makes me thing that pulling the stove and doing it right is the better option.

Thanks for putting it out where others will see it. I do see your point on the install being ironstrike specific.

The original flue and smoke shelf must be thoroughly cleaned before installing a liner.

So I think this got moved to a different channel and I don't think anyone is seeing it. . My question here, Is this bad enough that I make them pull the stove and do it all over again or should I just ignore it. Is it likely that I will have problems in the future with it. I probably shouldn't have started this with the name of the stove as this post has nothing to do with the brand of stove.
Yes it's really bad make them fix it

They also didn't install insulation around the flex which I am reading is mandatory.
Required by code if the chimney doesn't have 2" clearance from combustibles (interior) or 1" (exterior). It's an added cost. This is frequently skipped to keep the bid competitive.

Required by code if the chimney doesn't have 2" clearance from combustibles (interior) or 1" (exterior). It's an added cost. This is frequently skipped to keep the bid competitive.
My install is probably not required by code here then, I couldn't confirm it in the Arkansas building codes. They are going to have to pull the liner to clean anyways. I'll pay for them to add it. No combustibles, I have a clay lined chimney but it has plenty of room for the insulation.

My install is probably not required by code here then, I couldn't confirm it in the Arkansas building codes. They are going to have to pull the liner to clean anyways. I'll pay for them to add it. No combustibles, I have a clay lined chimney but it has plenty of room for the insulation.
The clearance to combustibles is from the outside of the masonry structure

Here is the code

Screenshot_20221021-190735.png Screenshot_20221021-190743.png Screenshot_20221021-190750.png

Moving the insert is not that hard. My son and I pulled a really heavy old Majestic insert without help. Lay down a sheet of metal or thin plywood to slide it on. If necessary, use some 1/2" pipe as rollers.

Listen to the professional, experienced advice from these guys. My non-pro opinion is that you have a chit installer, and glad to hear you haven’t paid in full. Yes, they need to fully clean chimney. Have them cut out damper if needed to clean those hidden areas. After that they need to insulate. You’ll have to pay extra bc you would have agreed to a previous contract w/o some of these important things. No biggie. What is a biggie is if they “complete” the install and you’re sitting around worried about it.
They will trying to “gaslight” you. Who cares- demand what is correct.
Good luck.