New Jotul C550 owner, have a few questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leakypuppy

Hearth Supporter
Mar 3, 2008
Northern NJ
I've had my new C550 installed less than a week after waiting about 6 weeks for the units to come in from Jotul. I wasn't prepared and didn't do enough research on how to actually burn these units so after my first few burns the bricks and glass are black with soot. Since then I've started reading up on the correct methods for burning and since I'm home today will try some of the techniques I've read about now. Is it a problem that the bricks are black or is this only cosmetic? Will the soot burn off when the temp. gets up and I get secondary combustion? I was able to clean the glass with ash and water, worked like a charm.

Thanks,

-jim

Attachments

• DSC_3670.jpg
    DSC_3670.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 329
I have had the same unit for a week and a half now so I can give you what I have done. The black will burn off the brick when it gets hot enough.

I usually start with some small sticks and paper. I like to use wood from pallets to get the thing going. I find that it gets going quickest if I leave the door open a crack. It helps to get more air flow. Once it starts going with the pallet wood I will put in soft or hard wood depending on what I have.

I only burn nights and weekends when I am home. It takes a good half an hour to get it going. I leave the fan on auto so it turns on when the stove is hot enough. I am by no means an expert with this. Perplexed and I have a lot of PM going back and forth about this. If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me.

Thanks. I just lit a top down fire big logs on the bottom, paper knots and then small kindling on top. I thought I had it going but when I returned 20mins later the flames were out and the draft seemed to be blowing across some of the burned areas of the bigger logs. I just put some additional kindling on and will see if keeping the door open a crack will help get it going.

Leakypuppy-

Welcome! So happy to have another 550 burner aboard. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience either as mine was installed about 3 weeks ago.

I start my fires with small pieces of kindling and fat wood topped with larger pieces of kindling (mine is pine) in a criss cross pattern. I top that with a medium sized piece of hard wood. I, too, have to keep the door cracked until the wood really catches. (I just ordered a box of SuperCedars to help get things going too so I can cut back on the fat wood and kindling.)

I am working on getting the temps. up quickly and agree that is the way to avoid the black bricks. My glass stays clean but my bricks sometimes stay clean and sometimes get black. Haven't been able to figure that one out yet but I am working on it - even as I type this!

I am trying to figure out how much wood to put in when and how to cut the air back. I do take notes but it still is hit and miss. Seems like once I do get it up to temp. 450*-500* I can cut back but the bricks don't always stay clean even though I know it is hot.

I have found having an IR thermometer helps me figure out how hot things are as there is nowhere on the unit to stick a magnetic one and get an accurate read.

As Soxfan stated, feel free to PM me with any questions. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.