New Jotul F400 ownwer w/question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlenNY

Mar 2, 2008
Long Island NY
Hey Folks, new to this forum. I purchased an older, two door F400 castine, it had never been used. As a life long Vermont Castings owner I am excited about burning this quality stove as well. Here seems to be my problem. I have been using the stove for a week now, and it is doing a terrific job of heating my home, but the air control lever doesn't seem to impact my fire, left or right. With the Vermont castings, I've had both the Vigilent and the resolute, I was virtually able to immediately calm my fire by reducing the air intake. Here, I cannot even tell the diference. Perhaps the levor is broken. Is this a common problem. Incidentally, I placed a magazine over the hole in the back and was able to manually cut of the air, and watch the flame drop drastically. Any help? Thanks

I placed a magazine over the hole in the back and was able to manually cut of the air, and watch the flame drop drastically. Any help? Thanks

I'm not sure which MAGAZINE would do more damage. A magazine full of bulletts or one made of paper. Either way wait for the experts to come by soon and help you with the slider for air control.

Just inside the front doors is a metal plate that covers the slide plate that regulates the firebox air. This slider is attached to the air control lever. Take off that plate and have a look inside to see if the lever is connected to the plate. The plate sometimes lifts off the air control lever during transport if the stove is tilted on its side.

There is the problem. Use a small mirror to look to the left and right in that air channel. When my stove arrived I had to fish the slider out from the far right side of the air channel with a wire. It is possible that the slider has slipped to the side of the stove (the air channel comes across the back of the stove and wraps around the sides to meet in the front where the lever moves the slider). You will have to get your face right down close to the slider opening to see and even then it might not be possible to see if the slider has slipped all the way around. If you don't find it, no worries, it is a cheap part replacement. When you do install the slider, make sure it is placed so that when the air lever is all the way to the left that the slider completely covers the air supply holes at the bottom.

Hmm, after that long winded reply it just occurred to me that the older design might be completely different than what I have. My 400 is new however my 600 is 5 years old and has the same design as my new 400. So, are you saying that there is no plate, held in place by bolts, directly inside the front door on the floor of the stove?

GlenNY, can you open the doors on the stove and take a picture of the air control lever and the area just inside of the stove that is inline with the air control? Is there a cast coverplate there with 2 bolt heads showing? If yes, that's what has to be removed.

You guys are the best...I found the 2 bolts and removed them, and found the plate!! Attaching it now, thanks again!!

Great. That's a nice stove. Contrary to some users I actually like the double doors a little more than the newer single door design.

You guys rescued me. Let me tell you what I was doing. I laid the stove face down on a pile of drop clothes and rocked it from side to side. I could hear the plate sliding back and forth. I then jammed a hanger in the hole and tried to drag it to the center. When the posting arrived about the two bolt, I propped the 400lb monster on it feet and went straight to work. Within three minutes I had it in place. You think they would inform you of this in the manual. The plate in chimney hole was an obvious one, and the grate was as well, but this one I never realized. The only thing I have to hope is I didn't damage the stove when it over fired last night. Seems to be working fine right now. Thanks again. Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.