New Jotul F500 and need help with chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toddh

Hearth Supporter
Oct 23, 2010
Tell City Indiana
I just bought a new Jotul F500 and I have a 8" x 10" clay chimney (brick outside) that is about 22 feet high. Can I get enough draft out of this or will I need to line it?

If there is more than one 90 on the connection to the chimney, it could be a poor performer. I'd install a liner for better performance. The chimney throat is oversized which can lead to a balky operating stove in milder weather. Definitely install an insulated liner if there is no clay tile lining.

Page 6 of the owner's manual...

Ours is the same size. We installed an insulated 6" SS liner.

Shari

The chimney will need a complete cleaning and inspection before installing the stove and liner. Have a certified sweep determine the tile condition. We can't do this from the keyboard. Code says you need an insulated liner unless the chimney was built with a 2" air gap from the house. Most are not built this way. An insulated liner will give you the best performance, but some here are using uninsulated liners successfully.

I'm along with Green on this one too. I have a 10x10 clay liner and I installed a 6" insulated SS liner in the old flu and have an incredible draft for 23 lineal ft. straight up, 2- 90's inside to the brick.

Page 6 of the manual says 8 x 8 up to a 8 x 12. I don't really want to spend a 1k on a liner of not necessary. It is a new chimney, never used.

Try it as is first, it may draft fine but an outside larger chimney will take a little longer to heat up so you may have some sluggish start ups or have to burn the stove with a little more air to keep that draft going.

Todd said:
Try it as is first, it may draft fine but an outside larger chimney will take a little longer to heat up so you may have some sluggish start ups or have to burn the stove with a little more air to keep that draft going.

+1... draft can be subjective to many factors: your region, the fuel load, weather, and how hard you try to run it. I'd let it rip as is, if the stove gets sluggish or has major performance issues, then do the liner.

I vented a 6" flue into an 8" x 12" clay flue for a few years. Installed new 5.5 insulated liner this fall and it is a huge improvement. I definitely get more BTU's out of the stove and use less wood. We actually use the stove more now as it is easier to run and when it is cruising, there is no visible smoke exiting the cap. I will never question the price. Worth every penny.

I don't really want to spend a 1k on a liner of not necessary. It is a new chimney, never used.[/quote]

If you are handy and can install yourself, it shouldn't cost you 1K. See how the stove runs on the clay liner if you run into issues with draft think about the SS liner next season.

ToddH said:
I just bought a new Jotul F500 and I have a 8" x 10" clay chimney (brick outside) that is about 22 feet high. Can I get enough draft out of this or will I need to line it?

FWIW: Same stove, 6" stove pipe to 8" hole in chimney (tile lined stone outside) to 8x10 flue, 18ft to top. Drafts fine.

Thanks guys for all your info. I should have it ready to go this week and I will find out. It sure is a nice looking stove!

Post pics when done

OK guys, I got it all going today. I had a break in fire tonight. I did not have any draft problems that I noticed. I did notice water coming out of the thimble. What would cause this? I do not have a cover on my chimney. Would it be moisture drawing out of the chimney?

Status
Not open for further replies.