New liner cleanout question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJFlores

Burning Hunk
Dec 22, 2013
NH
I have my stove on the second story, and am getting an insulated liner placed in my chimney. They're breaking out the tile liner from the flu to make room for the 6" stainless pipe with insulation wrapped. Question, they say they'll seal the clean out door in the basement and put a cap on the pipe just below where the thimble enters it. Is this the common method of install? I guess to clean it after brushing I'll need to use a vacuum to clean all the knocked down residue? I assume either from the top, or maybe insert a shop vac hose in through he thimble to get all the knocked down stuff out of that chamber? Just wondering if this is common...I think I would rather be able to brush down from the top right past where the stove enters the pipe and shovel it out of the clean out door below. They must be offering this sort of setup for a reason, and am comfortable going with their suggestion (they're reputable in my area). I just want to make sure I'm left with something thats easy to clean and not a pain in the neck.

From what I have heard it seems normal. That being said, if your liner is directly connected to the stove, brushing to remove creosote/dirt is a bit trickier than with a T or a thimble with cleanout chamber. From what I have seen here, some people disconnect the liner and go top down or bottom up and attach a shop vac.

I am certain someone with a similar setup will chime in shortly.

Andrew

There is nothing wrong with that setup we usually extend it to the cleanout but if your cleanout is a full floor below that would add allot of cost and allot of dead airspace in the liner. As far ac cleaning tou are going to have to pull the pipe anyway to clean the setup properly even if you had a cleanout so it really doesn't change it that much. But if you want a cleanout tell them they sound pretty good they will either tell you why they are not going to do it or they will do it for you but it will cost more

the stove pipe connecting the stove to the chimney

Ahhh, got ya... thanks. Yeah, after they described it I figured I'd brush from top down, then take the stove pipe off, clean that, clean the thimble, and then feed a shop vac through the thimble to suck up all the stuff from the chimney that collected in the chamber below the thimble. Does this sound like the thing to do? I'll ask the installer when they're here too...scheduled for the 24th and I can't wait! I have a fully rebuilt Fireview sitting on the hearth that hasn't had a fire in it since last season. Looking forward to naps on the couch while the stove hums along at temp!! (and finally turning off the thermostat although oil is pretty cheap around here).

Status
Not open for further replies.