New Lopi Cape Cod, blower not working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PNW

Dec 31, 2014
Washington State
We recently purchased a new Lopi Cape Cod for our 1700 sq.ft farmhouse. We followed manufacturer directions for curing the stove and the blower has yet to kick in. The installers are dragging their feet on the repair having told us 1) we haven't given it enough time 2) we aren't burning hot enough fires 3) the disk never faults on these so it's us and now 4) the blower only makes it a "little more efficient, and isn't a necessity." We've checked all the power, put about a 1/2 cord of seasoned fir and a few pressed logs through the stove and the blower has yet to click on (and yes I know where the rheostat is).

Installers are a "reputable" company in our area but I'm curious if this is a known fault with these stoves or if it is indeed likely something we're doing. How important is the blower? What temperature difference should I expect with the blower properly operating?

The blower will make a big difference, especially on a stove with a convection top like yours. Blowers will usually kick on once the stovetop reaches 300 or so. Not to mention you paid like $350 for the blower! That's one expensive setup, you should get some attention from the place you bought it. I didn't have the blower on mine but I hear it's a nice design!
I assume there is a wire off on the snapstat. Or it could just be a defective stat, it happens.

I'd be jumping up and down screaming if they didn't come and fix it. Should be something a reputable installer checks before they leave.

Stove or insert?

Often the case is that the thermostatic switch is not making firm contact with the stove body. That would be the first thing to check. But really, the dealership is offering excuses if you have had good full load fires with seasoned wood already. How many fires have you had and how hot has the stove gotten?

Thanks all! It's an insert and we've had it going full box ablaze for at least a dozen fires with a number of smaller ones. It's gotten well over 300 a number of times. We complained the day after installation that they didn't test the box and we've gotten numerous excuses until I threatened to revoke payment with our credit card but they aren't coming out for another week. We're running it but it's really not putting out much heat and I'm hoping the blower will make a difference. I'm hoping to run some test temps today but it's under 60 in our house because the thermostat keeps kicking on with the fireplace running chocked full.

Are you backing off on the air supply once the wood is fully engaged in flame?

Ahh, an insert. You aren't even seeing half of its potential then! Are you mechanically inclined at all? If so, take a look for yourself. You shouldn't have too, but I wouldn't wait a week on the dealer!

Ahh, an insert. You aren't even seeing half of its potential then! Are you mechanically inclined at all? If so, take a look for yourself. You shouldn't have too, but I wouldn't wait a week on the dealer!
My husband is but I haven't let him tear it apart because I don't want to void any warranties. :)

What good is a warenty if dealers don't want to fix it making excuses ?:(
Without a good dealer you have nothing. There has been a Lopi tech on here as of late. He will be your only hope if your dealer won't come through. I work in this industry and install Lopi regularly, I couldn't even get help from Lopi! I'd lean on your dealer hard if you expect help. It's a great product, but without corporate support, it's not worth too much unfortunately.

If you are comfortable with some basic electrical troubleshooting you should be able to figure this out.

Turn the rheostat all the way down, unplug the unit from the wall. Bypass the thermal switch. Mine has connectors but I can't remember the sexes, you might need a jumper wire. Then plug in and adjust the rheostat. This should identify if it's a blower or switch problem.

Reactions: PNW
I have cape cod insert and I never had a problem with the fan. Sometimes it takes a bit longer for it to kick in but it always does. I cannot even imagine how you can get any heat out of it without the blower. It will radiate a lot het through the glass but not enough to heat a house. Not trying to be a smart a** but you know you have to turn it on right?

Last edited:
Without a good dealer you have nothing. There has been a Lopi tech on here as of late. He will be your only hope if your dealer won't come through. I work in this industry and install Lopi regularly, I couldn't even get help from Lopi! I'd lean on your dealer hard if you expect help. It's a great product, but without corporate support, it's not worth too much unfortunately.
Thanks webby. I did call Travis Industries but if course they're closed until 1/5 for the holidays. It looks like I need to have the husband tear into it. Thanks MagKarl for the directions, should make it easier then troubleshooting everything. Prezes- the rheostat is on, of course it's the first thing we tried. Glad to hear you like your Lopi, we did a lot of research and it seemed like the best insert for us--but it's nit heating much without the blower and I feel like we're pumping money into it while we waste wood.

Getting down to the basics, be sure there is power at the actual plug the insert is plugged into. Sometimes these outlets are switched.

It heats my house very well. It got its disadvantages due to its design "flush insert" so the fire box is too shallow to my liking. I feel like I cannot get a full advantage of the 2.2cf fire box. But it is a very good looking stove, great heater even with my self install without an insulated liner and without a block off plate it heats well, no smoke spillage in the house. If I was you I would not waste any wood till you get the blower going.

Last edited:
Getting down to the basics, be sure there is power at the actual plug the insert is plugged into. Sometimes these outlets are switched.
It' getting juice and was a direct wire installation. They come out in the morning so I'll update then. We had a Stage 2 burn ban this weekend so we couldn't have burned much if we wanted to. Thanks for the details!

Status
Not open for further replies.