New member and logical options question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NICPAIGE

Nov 28, 2018
Ohio
Hello all, and thanks for the resource. I have a log cabin home I purchased a few years back. My problem is that the masonry chimney is pulling away from the outside wall and the gap is now about 3" at the peak of the roof. The river stone facing is also in poor shape. The leaning is the result of a foundation not tied into the cabin foundation and the high clay content of the soil.

Needless to say it seems destined that this chimney needs to come down. I want to change to a wood burning stove insert. The new chimney would be stick built and attached to the wall and use a proper chimney pipe. For this type of construction must I use a zero clearance insert?

Thanks
Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. The term insert is misused for this type of installation by some marketing groups. In this case you would be installing a zero-clearance fireplace. There are some good EPA ZC options that put out decent heat.

I would consider not rebuilding the chimney at all, extending the hearth area, and doing a stovepipe straight up through the roof.

Cheaper, and you wind up with a better heater at the end of the day.

If you rebuild the chimney it will cost more, you are stuck with something that fits into your fireplace, AND you face the possibility of future chimney collapse if that area sinks further.

You could also replace the existing with a chase, and install stone veneer on the chase to keep the look, and would a be a less expensive alternative to replacing the chimney with same, and you will have to deal with the exposed are one way or another anyway. T a freestander into there or frame it out for a ZC according to ZC's man requirements. You have options.

Reactions: jetsam
Thanks for all the suggestions. The river rock stone is continued on the inside with the hearth and 8ft of facing. The hearth is 7' wide. If any of this matters. Not sure if I mentioned but the first sign of trouble has been a recurring roof leak in heavy rain. The flashing keeps pulling away as the chimney falls away from the wall.

There is a fix for the chimney if you want to save it. My parents house was built on clay and there was some significant settling in one corner of the house. They hired a contractor and the house got jacked using these https://www.hubbell.com/chancefoundationsolutions/en/about-us/chance-products/helical-piles.It took care of the settling and stayed that way until we sold it. Even if it moved again they can dig up the pile ends and jack it some more.

Its not a cheap fix so I expect pulling it down and putting in new stack is the way to go.

There is a fix for the chimney if you want to save it. My parents house was built on clay and there was some significant settling in one corner of the house. They hired a contractor and the house got jacked using these https://www.hubbell.com/chancefoundationsolutions/en/about-us/chance-products/helical-piles.It took care of the settling and stayed that way until we sold it. Even if it moved again they can dig up the pile ends and jack it some more.

Its not a cheap fix so I expect pulling it down and putting in new stack is the way to go.

Working version of the link from the above post:
https://www.hubbell.com/chancefoundationsolutions/en/about-us/chance-products/helical-piles
https://www.hubbell.com/chancefoundationsolutions/en/about-us/chance-products/helical-piles

I have two estimates for steel jacking the chimney back into place. Both $3,000 for two piers. Selling this property is not an option as it is family land and built by my brother(except for the chimney) who is also my neighbor. If the chimney wasn't in need of a complete resurfacing I would go that route. I'm thinking a zero clearance fireplace, tear down chimney, build new chimney and insulated piping I will have $10k invested.

I have two estimates for steel jacking the chimney back into place. Both $3,000 for two piers. Selling this property is not an option as it is family land and built by my brother(except for the chimney) who is also my neighbor. If the chimney wasn't in need of a complete resurfacing I would go that route. I'm thinking a zero clearance fireplace, tear down chimney, build new chimney and insulated piping I will have $10k invested.

Then go with Hogwildz's original suggestion above, that will be thousands of pounds lighter and thus much less likely to sink into the swamp.

Tear it down! Masonry chimneys are obsolete!

Tear it down! Masonry chimneys are obsolete!
I concur.
And, i add, leave fireplaces where they are and install a proper heater: a wood stove.

Reactions: moresnow
Okay, I appreciate the feedback. Now what is the best way to find someone skilled in building a framed chimney?

Okay, I appreciate the feedback. Now what is the best way to find someone skilled in building a framed chimney?
Ask questions, get references and check them out. A good contractor should be able to explain the details of how they would construct and finish the chase. If they leave out details about sealing, insulation, clearances, firestops, top cap, etc. they may be doing this for the first time.