New Member and Overwhelmed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyGT

May 28, 2014
Georgia
Hi. I just got a Buckstove 74zc with the gold trim installed last Saturday and am overwhelmed with what to do with it from here. This zero clearance fireplace replaced a Heatilator that came with the home when we purchased it new. The fireplace is located in a corner of the living room which is in the middle of the house with very little natural light so I have to be careful with the darkness of any product used. I would like some suggestions or ideas what to use as the surround. I have looked at brick before getting the stove, but after installation, I thought the brick wasn't good enough. The gold trim looks pretty fancy so the light grey brick looked too plain. I have gone to a stone yard and thought about using granite, but the granite patterns I have seen feels like they are too busy. I love marble, but was told by the staff at the stone yard that marble will stain if burning embers land on it. If marble is not a good product, then why do so many people use it?

Is there a member gallery section so people can get ideas how to finish their fireplaces?

Before we exchanged fireplaces, we had a white wooden mantle on it. We originally planned to brick around the fireplace and raised the Buckstove 9 1/4" to accommodate a hearth which we didn't have before. I think we will have to replace the legs on the fireplace mantle. After installation, I learned that I had to have between 24"-30" clearance of combustible material. I am not sure our mantle is reusable, but would like to see if it can be retrofited to fit the new fire place. Is that possible?

Right now I wish had hired a contractor to deal with all this. We thought this would be an easy project for us to do, but it doesn't feel that way. lol. I am glad we didn't build a house because one of us would be dead by now!

Welcome. Some photos of the installation would really help us to see just what it is you've got and where you're trying to go with it. Rick

PA fieldstone? It's a nice muted assortment of grays, with hints of reds and browns. You can buy it by the pallet, typically $200 for 30 cu.ft. around here, in natural form. However, if you're using it for a veneer, you'll want edge cuts, rather than pasting up stones on the flat (which always looks too fake).

Is that an alcove install? It sounds a bit like you installed the 74 as a zero clearance fireplace. Did you get the cabinet for that kind of install with it? http://www.newbucksweep.com/BuckStoveImages/Wood and Coal Stoves ZC/model74zc.pdf (see the second part)

In addition, how is your wood supply? The Buck will need dry, seasoned wood to burn properly. There should already be several cords of split wood drying in your yard.

Welcome to the forum btw. :)

Thanks for the welcome. I have tried uploading pics what the fireplace and the existing mantle looks like now, but I am getting a message by the forum saying the file being too big. I am not camera or computer savvy so I do not know how to resize the pictures. Sorry.

After looking through hundreds of photos on Houzz.com, we decided to have a solid white skirt with some trim like this.
http://www.houzz.com/photos/1404138/Granite-Fireplace-Surround-traditional-family-room-Cleveland

The other option is to use this brick which is less expensive. Look for Velour Light Grey.
http://picabrick.com/index.php?p=1_36_ARCHITECTURAL-SERIES

I wish somebody would give me two or three options and say pick one. lol. I want to do this right because it's expensive and am worried about resale value.

Last edited:
Is that an alcove install? It sounds a bit like you installed the 74 as a zero clearance fireplace. Did you get the cabinet for that kind of install with it? http://www.newbucksweep.com/BuckStoveImages/Wood and Coal Stoves ZC/model74zc.pdf (see the second part)

In addition, how is your wood supply? The Buck will need dry, seasoned wood to burn properly. There should already be several cords of split wood drying in your yard.

Welcome to the forum btw. :)

I hope I got the right cabinet or my husband got ripped off. lol. At this time, no firewood out back because the Heatilator was not worth using. One thing at a time because if this is not completed, there is no point in purchasing the wood because it will just rot like the last load of wood we had delivered.

I have had wood on pallets, top covered for eight years with no rot. If your wood isn't dry this winter you will think the Buck is as worthless as the Heatilator.

Thanks for the welcome. I have tried uploading pics what the fireplace and the existing mantle looks like now, but I am getting a message by the forum saying the file being too big. I am not camera or computer savvy so I do not know how to resize the pictures. Sorry.

It would really be helpful to see some actual pictures before giving any more advice. Are you using a Windows computer? Then try these instructions: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110213190608AAEqbPI
At this time, no firewood out back because the Heatilator was not worth using. One thing at a time because if this is not completed, there is no point in purchasing the wood because it will just rot like the last load of wood we had delivered.

Wood that is kept dry lasts for decades or better centuries. Most hardwoods need at least 2 years split and stacked to dry and without dry wood you will not have much fun with your new stove. Not to mention that burning wet wood will create a lot of creosote, potentially leading to a chimney fire. Here are some suggestions on how to build a good firewood rack: http://www.instructables.com/id/No-tools-firewood-rack/
In the end, it is all about raising the wood from the ground and allowing plenty of sun and air movement. Top covering helps, IMHO, but is not mandatory.

Last edited:
Reality sunk in last night and I am not a happy camper. Since I can't upload the pics, I will describe my predicament. This stove is in a corner of my living room and raised 9 1/4" off the floor. My ceilings are 10' high with 12" of crown molding all around. The width of the corner space available is almost 7'. After doing the math, if I want a mantle of any sort, the base of it will be at 59" almost be 7' wide to accommodate the manufacturers combustible restrictions. Add another 11" in height for the mantle shelf. So I have lost 70" of wall space to some sort of masonry product. Actually less, due to the molding. The quote for a brick fireplace is around $600 for 5' wall and granite is running $50-80+ per square foot. Eek! The cost is adding up quickly as the project progresses. The current wooden fireplace mantle is not reusable.

This is what I don't want my room to look like: http://theletteredcottage.net/my-82-fireplace-makeover/ Please look at the fireplace before doing the make over.

The color of brick (beige) is similar to what I have chosen because my room is dark due to being in the middle of the house and little natural lighting. I want something more than the standard wall that is shown in the picture. It's much too plain, but what are my options with 70" of brick wall and my restrictions? I am really angry that I was not informed by the dealer what I was getting into. How many people are willing to give up that much wall space and how do you decorate it appealingly? I do not see this as fast selling product. Yes, this is a case of buyer's remorse and no my husband will not drop the unit down to the floor as I asked. lol.

Last edited:
It would really be helpful to see some actual pictures before giving any more advice. Are you using a Windows computer? Then try these instructions: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110213190608AAEqbPI

Wood that is kept dry lasts for decades or better centuries. Most hardwoods need at least 2 years split and stacked to dry and without dry wood you will not have much fun with your new stove. Not to mention that burning wet wood will create a lot of creosote, potentially leading to a chimney fire. Here are some suggestions on how to built a good firewood rack: http://www.instructables.com/id/No-tools-firewood-rack/
In the end, it is all about raising the wood from the ground and allowing plenty of sun and air movement. Top covering helps, IMHO, but is not mandatory.

We have had many fireplaces in the past and familiar with how to care for wood. We have owned a Fisher fireplace insert in a previous home. Since moving to middle GA, we rarely used our fireplace because it was not energy efficient for the square footage of our house or cold enough to make it worth the effort to make a fire. Now that the weather is changing and we have been experiencing colder weather more frequently than normal, we decided an alternative heat source was needed in our all electric house. The purpose of the stove is to heat the house in case of power outage. Of course, we may use it as our primary heat in the future, but one thing at a time. We have to clean up the mess we are in first. lol. If this unit was in a casual family room and not in our formal great room, I wouldn't be fussing.

Hard to say, without seeing your space, but I usually prefer the look of continuing the masonry to the ceiling, versus stopping it at the mantle. Then again, I'm not a fan of beige brick...

Try using photobucket for pics. Its very user friendly. Just upload the pic to them and post the link to it.

Make no mistake, that old Fisher (and most definitely the fireplaces) are a different critter than the Buck. I don't want to beat this to death, but if you do not have properly seasoned firewood (read: DRY) that Buck is gonna snort and kick back at ya when you want to heat it up. Consider this fair warning.

I am of no help to you on the design - I am an interior design idiot savant.

We have had many fireplaces in the past and familiar with how to care for wood.

If your last load of wood "rotted" as you suggested, let me humbly suggest your knowledge may not be serving you right. Properly stored split firewood won't rot or decompose any more than the frame of your house does. If you invest the time to do some reading around these forums, you'll learn an awful lot from the very-helpful bunch here about how to keep that from happening.

The purpose of the stove is to heat the house in case of power outage.

That's a big project that can't be done piecemeal, because all the parts of the project connect. You'll get a TONS of help here, but the lack of photos is preventing anyone from understanding your problem. Most everyone here has a partner that deals with our woodburning ways and has been satisfied, so your decorating problem CAN be solved.

If your last load of wood "rotted" as you suggested, let me humbly suggest your knowledge may not be serving you right. Properly stored split firewood won't rot or decompose any more than the frame of your house does. If you invest the time to do some reading around these forums, you'll learn an awful lot from the very-helpful bunch here about how to keep that from happening.

This wood has been uncovered on a cement slab for many years because my husband really didn't care what happened to it. He wasn't using the fireplace on a regular basis as anticipated when procured. Money down the drain obviously. With this new stove, our supply of wood definitely will be stored appropriately.

The granite looks nice. I think I'd hire a contractor. The granite has to be cut, etc. It's gonna look great!

Status
Not open for further replies.