New member have a wood stove venting project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dfdsc68

Feb 24, 2019
Milford PA
Well call me crazy but im unhappy with my pellet and would like to go back to wood however my idea of “through the wall” seems out of the question

See pics below

No pics

New member have a wood stove venting project New member have a wood stove venting project New member have a wood stove venting project

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like clearances are the main issue, both for the flue but also overhead for the stove. Many stoves have an 84" clearance requirement to ceiling, but not all.

Well call me crazy but im unhappy with my pellet and would like to go back to wood however my idea of “through the wall” seems out of the question

See pics below
Forget "throught the wall'', and think "through the roof"... Straight shot..

Reactions: Woody Stover
Any rules on how close you can be to power lines? _g

What is in that bulkhead over the stove?

The roof looks like a 14/12 pitch. I'm guessing you are eventually going to get some flak here for having too much pipe above the roof. There are ways around it, by moving the exit closer to the peak, or adding additional roof structure such as hip roofs, dormers, or a chase, but it doesn't look like that would be something you would want either. Bracing, maintenance, appearance are all an issue here. Even out the side, you are going to have a 14ft scud missile on top. Bracing 5ft down from the chimney cap would need 10ft poles at that point, and probably two sets.

The roof looks like a 14/12 pitch. I'm guessing you are eventually going to get some flak here for having too much pipe above the roof. There are ways around it, by moving the exit closer to the peak, or adding additional roof structure such as hip roofs, dormers, or a chase, but it doesn't look like that would be something you would want either. Bracing, maintenance, appearance are all an issue here. Even out the side, you are going to have a 14ft scud missile on top.

Ugh i know. Maybe i should just keep the pellet stove....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh i know. Maybe i should just keep the pellet stove....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You wont have to much sticking up out of the roof. It gets braced 5' up. Likely another 3' section will fulfill clearance requirements. Easy peasy. Send me a email. I'll send a pic of mine. Works great and is no recognizable missle!

You wont have to much sticking up out of the roof. It gets braced 5' up. Likely another 3' section will fulfill clearance requirements. Easy peasy. Send me a email. I'll send a pic of mine. Works great and is no recognizable missle!
14ft seems like a lot. Doesn't mean it's wrong. Quite a few would disagree with that though.

Attachments

• New member have a wood stove venting project
    1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 115
14ft seems like a lot. Doesn't mean it's wrong. Quite a few would disagree with that though.
It is a tall stack and a big lever. It will need good, solid bracing at the 5 and 10 ft levels. Are there any other locations to place the stove?