New member Intro, just ordered a HearthStone Manchester

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John E. Law

Sep 20, 2023
Bristol, NY
New member, just signed up after ordering a Hearthstone Manchester, in ceramic brown. Installation is projected to be at the end of October or beginning of November. We went with the Manchester because we wanted a rear vented wood stove, along with qualifying for the rebate. It was narrowed down to this stove and the Vermont Casting Encore but I really liked the side loading option for the Manchester along with the way the ash try looking easier to clean out. It appears the Manchester kicked out more heat and had a longer burn times as well. The installation is going to be in the living room of an old large drafty farmhouse built in 1850. This will be for supplemental heat here up in Western New York. We have plenty of firewood available to harvest around the property. While not new to wood stoves or fireplaces, I am looking forward to seeing how these new hybrid EPA approved wood stoves operate.

Welcome! I hope you’ve got lots of wood that’s been drying for a year! The newer stoves want the moisture content below 20% or lower!

Reactions: kborndale
If you didn't harvest plenty of the wood last year you are going to be disappointed in your stove this year. And don't believe the sellers that tell you their wood is ready to burn. Look into getting the compressed bricks to burn this year.

Welcome! I hope you’ve got lots of wood that’s been drying for a year! The newer stoves want the moisture content below 20% or lower!
I have heard that about these new stoves and I actually do! About 4-5 facecords that has been sitting stacked and dry inside of a barn for about 3-4 years. I plan to order another 4-5 seasoned facecords to be delivered this month. This way the stuff I start cutting now will hopefully be ready next year. Sounds like I will need a moisture meter.

I have heard that about these new stoves and I actually do! About 4-5 facecords that has been sitting stacked and dry inside of a barn for about 3-4 years. I plan to order another 4-5 seasoned facecords to be delivered this month. This way the stuff I start cutting now will hopefully be ready next year. Sounds like I will need a moisture meter.

Whatever you buy will not be ready to burn this winter.

My only comment would be that hopefully the chimney system is tall. This line of stove requires a lot of draft in the rear-exit configuration. Is the chimney going to be a new install as well?

My only comment would be that hopefully the chimney system is tall. This line of stove requires a lot of draft in the rear-exit configuration. Is the chimney going to be a new install as well?
Yes, new install on a class A chimney at least 25 feet high from the point it exits the side of the home.

Whatever you buy will not be ready to burn this winter.
Often this is the case. However, there are a few dealers in NYS that actually do season and kiln dry their wood. They guarantee the wood to be <20% MC. We have a seller locally too. Their wood sells for a premium, but it is fully seasoned. Still, it's good to have a moisture meter on hand to test a few splits before they dump the load.

New member, just signed up after ordering a Hearthstone Manchester, in ceramic brown.
Welcome and congratulations! That's a good-looking stove and a serious heater. Be sure to take pics during the install and first fires.

Often this is the case. However, there are a few dealers in NYS that actually do season and kiln dry their wood. They guarantee the wood to be <20% MC. We have a seller locally too. Their wood sells for a premium, but it is fully seasoned. Still, it's good to have a moisture meter on hand to test a few splits before they dump the load.

Yes, but unfortunately that wood is often more expensive than running the oil burner. So if you are burning wood to try and save money on heat that's a no go.

Often true. The point is that there are some reputable sellers of dry wood late in the season but caveat emptor, check the wood properly before accepting. Also, these dealers often sell out of their fully-seasoned wood by November due to the high number of late buyers.

Another option is to mix highly compressed sawdust blocks or logs with the firewood. That too will cost more.

Often true. The point is that there are some reputable sellers of dry wood late in the season but caveat emptor, check the wood properly before accepting. Also, these dealers often sell out of their fully-seasoned wood by November due to the high number of late buyers.

Another option is to mix highly compressed sawdust blocks or logs with the firewood. That too will cost more.
if anyone stumbles across this on a search; I just bought a ton of saw dust bricks from woodpellets.com. $400 delivered to my driveway. Cheapest including delivery I was able to find.

Yes, new install on a class A chimney at least 25 feet high from the point it exits the side of the home.
Do you have any idea how long the horizontal section out of the rear of the stove will be? And did the installer recommend the chimney be 25 ft or did location in the house dictate that?

Do you have any idea how long the horizontal section out of the rear of the stove will be? And did the installer recommend the chimney be 25 ft or did location in the house dictate that?
Horizontal - not exactly sure but I would guess less than 2.5- 3’ based on location of the stove and where the chimney will rise outside of the house.

The house dictated that height. The roof line is approximately 22-23’ from where the horizontal pipe will exit the wall.

Horizontal - not exactly sure but I would guess less than 2.5- 3’ based on location of the stove and where the chimney will rise outside of the house.

The house dictated that height. The roof line is approximately 22-23’ from where the horizontal pipe will exit the wall.
I have the Shelburne but this install sounds very similar to mine. Although your chimney will be ~4ft taller than mine. I'm having smoke rollout issues on hot reloads, so I'll be interested to see if your install has that or not.

I have the Shelburne but this install sounds very similar to mine. Although your chimney will be ~4ft taller than mine. I'm having smoke rollout issues on hot reloads, so I'll be interested to see if your install has that or not.
Hopefully, it will be less of an issue when loading the stove from the smaller side door.

Well, I had 3 FC dumped yesterday and it most of it was <18% MC, some of it was even around 15% MC. I have another 3 coming tomorrow and the option for an additional 3 FC later in the month when he slows down from his tree work. Then after deer season, me and my boys will start harvesting wood from the property, starting with the dead and downed, for the 2025-26 season.

No word on the delivery or installation of the wood stove yet. Can't wait because we made it to October 5th without turning on the propane furnace.

The moisture was checked on the inside of a piece that was resplit just before you checked it? If so congratulations! You found a dealer with dry wood! If you just checked the outside of the wood you have and didn't resplit a piece then those readings are false and the wood is really around 25-30%.

The moisture was checked on the inside of a piece that was resplit just before you checked it? If so congratulations! You found a dealer with dry wood! If you just checked the outside of the wood you have and didn't resplit a piece then those readings are false and the wood is really around 25-30%.
Thank you! Yes - I took five pieces of split wood from the pile and my initial observation just handling these pieces, based on their weight, I felt they were likely were going to be fairly seasoned. I measured the outside of each at the ends and middle, where I was seeing mostly 15%. Then I split each piece with a maul axe and took an inside measurement, where I was getting about 18%, a low of 15 and high of 21. I may not even get to this new wood supply until the end of this season because I have a decent amount that's been stored for about 4-5 years now.

I only explain this because I asked if I could check the moisture of the first dump before I decided on more wood and he said of course. The supplier said most of this this wood supply has been stored split since winter of 2022. In Western, NY the overall wood supply is very plentiful and competitively priced. He's a tree guy just making some extra money from the wood he removes or comes across during his work. Hopefully, this will be the last year I need to buy wood, as I am looking to harvest my own wood we have on our 168 acres for the 2025-26 season. Easier said than done!

That's great that he let you test for moisture content first.

Installation was today - FINALLY! There was a delay for some 15 degree angle stove pipe to get around a porch roof line. There was also some damage to the rear leg, likely from shipping. The adjustable foot broke off and some of the ceramic paint chipped off. I had them install it anyway and deal with it in the spring. They said manufacturer said they will cover the damage.

Overall, I am very happy. We are on our second burn. No issues with smoke or draw. It’s putting out plenty of heat and looks like a beautiful slow burn. I haven’t used the cat yet, just try to get a couple low and slow burns to break it in. Looks awesome!

I mounted a Magrahearth mantle which is a concrete form made to look like a barn beam. I went that route so I could keep my tv mounted above the rear vented Manchester. It allows me to mount the mantle 12” from the glass or opening to the wood stove. I’ve been take heat readings with a laser and it hasn’t been about 90 degree at the bottom of the mantle. The back of the stove puts off very little heat.

No pictures of the vent stack yet because it was dark when he finished the install. I’ll post some of those tomorrow. Two thumbs up so far!

37906B12-89E5-4543-A0B7-C85462B998B2.jpeg 5459E30C-8387-44F5-8B99-3A4A4940A51B.jpeg 9B20815E-D1EC-4340-9F1A-C9EC0973185F.jpeg 38488AA3-433B-42D6-A1A7-E2E43E966E8A.jpeg 9968F60D-5EB1-4918-AA79-67A793745E83.jpeg C9670FF8-4087-494C-99AD-57F457B51130.jpeg EE5A60D8-534B-455C-8EF2-C0FD9865D833.jpeg E5A7AC35-3BA2-4500-AD13-6A97A95046D5.jpeg 52929611-EFC4-4D10-836D-5CF980225021.jpeg

3rd burn went a little hotter and use the cat. Huge learning curve. This wood stove sips wood. Getting ready to do an overnight burn. I tried to upload video with no luck.