New member Intro, just ordered a HearthStone Manchester

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Exterior photos. I estimate the height of the stack to be 26-27’. Those are 15 degree fittings.

F14F4456-DA67-4F08-9B86-E51A136A8111.jpeg D78CF9F2-68DC-4F00-B4B2-FD02C0C1E2DC.jpeg E1F3B426-BADE-41FD-9F5E-FACBF0282B5C.jpeg

Exterior photos. I estimate the height of the stack to be 26-27’. Those are 15 degree fittings.

View attachment 319919
That is a long unsupported stretch between the offset elbows. The weight should be supported better to take stress off of the elbows.

Any updates? I've had my Manchester for several years now, and I cannot get the cats to work to save my soul. I am a very frustrated Manchester owner. And it's not the wood.

Any updates? I've had my Manchester for several years now, and I cannot get the cats to work to save my soul. I am a very frustrated Manchester owner. And it's not the wood.
So far so good. I was gonna give another week or two before I put out a detailed review. I haven’t had any issues. Plenty of draw from the stack. Very little smoke when I open the door to load more wood. 3-4 pieces of wood burn hot for about 4-5 hours. After 20 minutes from loading more wood and the fire isn’t throwing sparks or ash, I can close the catalyst with no issues. Still plenty of draw and fire stays plenty hot. Overnight burns I get 7-8 hours with coals in the morning and the stove it still warm. All I have to do is stir up the coals and drop a few pieces of split wood on top and Im burning hot again. I have the blower option and it throws plenty of heat. I have a 3,600 sqft 1850’s farmhouse that is very porous and this stove has kept the entire house in the low 70’s to the point the heat hasn’t kicked on once.

The two things that disappoint me is: 1. the fact I can’t close the air damper/intake completely. I understand why but I’d like to option to close off the air supply completely if needed. 2. The ashes do not easily filter down into the ash pan. No issues with the catalyst. I usually keep them disengaged until I’m happy with the heat and stability of the burn. I told my family when I’m doubt leave the catalyst open.

Last edited:
I took the shaker grate out of my ash pan on my Mansfield for the reason I'm sure you are having. When the ash door is closed it moves the shaker grate into a closed position. On mine 4 bolts took it out. I asked my dealer if removing it would affect the warranty and he said" if you have to just put it back in".

Now I can rake around the ash bed and it falls into the pan.

Reactions: John E. Law
I took the shaker grate out of my ash pan on my Mansfield for the reason I'm sure you are having. When the ash door is closed it moves the shaker grate into a closed position. On mine 4 bolts took it out. I asked my dealer if removing it would affect the warranty and he said" if you have to just put it back in".

Now I can rake around the ash bed and it falls into the pan.
Agreed. That shaker grate idea looks great on paper but isn’t very efficient. Faster and easier to shovel it out.