New Member Intro

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestcoast

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2009
NW Indiana
Hi all, Newb here, finally posting after months of lurking. I want to thank all the regular contributors here for the good advice & great resources. I have a 1450 sf brick Cape Code (1950) that was cold, drafty & expensive last winter, with a 24' exterior brick masonry chimney.
Based almost completely on info from the site I have done the following:
Researched a crap-load of inserts & found an appropriately sized one that meets my tight clearances & FP dimensions (I-2400). Determined that the stoveshop guy was full of it. Installed my stove & full 24' 316 TI liner (rather ovalized) in a 7x12 flue with Thermaguard insulation mix, block-off plate with 4" rockwool, sheetmetal shroud & 2" rockwool around the FP firebox.
The install went well despite having to buy a 32' fiberglass ladder that cost nearly as much as install would have. I know I did a better job though.
The stove also had an annoying howl when at less than 1/2 air & through searching here I could diagnos & fix that problem with a magnet over the "EPA air-hole".
My November bill for nat gas & electric was less than 1/3rd of last Nov & house was way warmer. Also blew a ridiculous ammount of cellulose into the attic & side attics.
I'm a happy man, Thanks again

Good to have you show up in a post mwc, welcome. Sounds like you are on the way to a cozy household. Congratulations.

Welcome and congrats on the install. That insulation job is going to save you a lot of wood handling.

Welcome to the forum, and howdy from not too far away! I wonder if we talked to some of the same stove shops or installers. (in the end, I got my stove in Illinois and installed it myself.) It's great how this site can teach us how to do the job ourselves.

The ladder will be good for cleaning the chimney!

Will you be buying wood? I can advise you against one seller in my area--Edmond's. Dunno if you're that close to me, of course.

Welcome and where are the pictures....By now you do know we love to see pictures. ;-)

[/quote]"Welcome to the forum, and howdy from not too far away! I wonder if we talked to some of the same stove shops or installers."
I bought from "The Stove Shop" on Indianapolis in Schererville. Nice folks and good price, but when he said they didn't use block-off plates or insulation because "the warm air will insulate the flue", I knew I was doing the install. That heat is supposed to be for my house you know?

The ladder will be good for cleaning the chimney! My thoughts exactly. In fact, I need to get up there soon...

Will you be buying wood? I can advise you against one seller in my area—Edmond’s. Dunno if you’re that close to me, of course.
We must be close. I'm in Miller. Thanks, I have bought some wood & already heard a couple stories of wet wood from them. Got some dry Silver Maple & Oak from a guy near here who had a surplus & some wet oak from another tree service. That guy's name is Ted & I might buy from him again (to get ahead). I've been scrounging a bit, but thats all for next season.

perplexed said:
Welcome and where are the pictures....By now you do know we love to see pictures. ;-)
Knew I'd get that. I'm pretty lazy, but will get pics up sometime. Thenn lots of folks can rip me for my hearth being too short; I'll get to that too...

Status
Not open for further replies.