New member, new install, support box concern

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TreeGoomba

Nov 5, 2015
North Jersey
Hi All,
New member, long time reader (I'll make a formal intro later and promise lots of pix hehe). After two years of research, $aving, reading here (thank you), cutting, splitting, stacking it was finally time to install a stove. Made a down payment on a morso 2b last month and set up an install with the vendor for this week. Install is in single floor, straight up through the roof. Watching the two contractors I started having concerns that they werent confident in this work. When it came time to put in the support box they opened the space between rafters but didnt think to frame the opening for the box (14"x14" box between rafters at 22" apart). They said it was going to be screwed to one rafter only. I asked whats going to hold up the box and chimney. He pointed to the connector pipe! So I supplied some wood and they framed it. OK.

Now here's my main concern- they cut the support box but didnt fold the edges over the roof or cut it flush with the roofline. It extends just past the ceiling line and ends between the ceiling and roof, leaving a large gap open in that space. Is that OK? What's to prevent insulation or other debris from falling into the box and getting close to the pipe? Mice and flying squirrels get into spots like that and stuff 'em full of nests (tinder).

Thanks for any input. Looking forward to being a member here and feeling the warmth.

Here's a few pictures, I hope. First post here....
stove 014.JPG

stove 015.JPG

stove 016.JPG

The attic insulation sh
What's to prevent insulation or other debris from falling into the box and getting close to the pipe?
The attic insulation sheild that they should have installed

Is this a flat or a cathedral ceiling? If flat they should have used a conventional ceiling support box + an attic insulation shield. If cathedral then the support box gets flanged over the roof or at least cut flush with the roof underside if it is not needing roof support anchoring. From the photos I can't see where the support box is anchored.
Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 6.25.29 PM.png

The attic insulation sh

The attic insulation sheild that they should have installed

Thanks bholler. This is through a slightly pitched roof, no attic if that makes a difference. It's 10" from ceiling to roof with insulation between.
Pic shows drywall ceiling below and roof above, which is new. Gap is roughly 8". Wouldnt folding or cutting the support box level with the roof line be better? As it is now the top of the box ends about 4"-7" below the roof.
stove 010.JPG
stove 013.JPG

Thanks bholler. This is through a slightly pitched roof, no attic if that makes a difference. It's 10" from ceiling to roof with insulation between.
Pic shows drywall ceiling below and roof above, which is new. Gap is roughly 8". Wouldnt folding or cutting the support box level with the roof line be better? As it is now the top of the box ends about 4"-7" below the roof.
It needs closed off somehow either cut the box down and use the shield or extend the box up to the roof

Is this a flat or a cathedral ceiling? If flat they should have used a conventional ceiling support box + an attic insulation shield. If cathedral then the support box gets flanged over the roof or at least cut flush with the roof underside if it is not needing roof support anchoring. From the photos I can't see where the support box is anchored.
View attachment 166127

begreen, that's the exact picture I showed them. The box was screwed into the framing after the picture.

It needs closed off somehow either cut the box down and use the shield or extend the box up to the roof

Thanks again, I had a feeling thats what it was coming down to, will have the vendor back out.

while I am by no means as knowledgeable as most of the gentleman on here. I kind on just went through this with my install. I did a corner install so I didn't have much room. normally you have a ceiling support which is framed and screwed/nailed. then an attic insulations shield is screwed on top of that framework and has a sleeve inside that slides down to that support up to 8 inches on slide in there I believe it was so that pipe is totally protected from something being able to be pushed up to the pipe. the box you have is for cathedral ceilings. and yes I would run the framework between the two trusses and then down to the size you need this is what holdes the weight of your chimney, don't want that coming down. that's one of the things I personally would feel your cant really overkill

Status
Not open for further replies.