New member... old house with a couple of old fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkarch

Jan 4, 2013
Seattle, WA
Here's the background - this summer we bought a mid century house with 2 regular masonry fireplaces common from the era.

It's a fixer, so we're prioritizing projects. The long term plan is to put a gas insert in the living room, and a wood insert in the family room for backup heating. The central heat is oil, which we don't want to keep for too long. Plan on that is to replace with a heat pump either this summer or next.

I like burning wood, don't mind the cut/spilt/stack, it's good exercise. But the old fireplaces are so inefficient it seems like I'm spending too much time/money on the fire for the heat it's putting out.

My question is - is there an easy way to (slightly) improve the efficiency of these old fireplaces in the short term, or am I better off plugging the chimney until we get a good insert?

Living and family room are the same style, except family room vents to the left chimney.

fireplace.jpg

Fireplaces are notoriously inefficient. Not much you can do that will improve that. Lets face it, they really haven't changed much in hundreds of years.
Prioritizing - ahh yes....the great head scratcher. Only you will know best...but if long term is to get off oil, I would start by getting your heat square up. An insert (personally I prefer free standing stoves), with an insulated block off plate would start to look pretty important to me.

And welcome to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.