New moisture meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Molsonc1

Dec 14, 2017
Canada
Hello everybody. I am installing a ZC fireplace in the spring and have been stocking up on wood since last August. Sitting on about 3.5 cords so far of red and white oak. I ordered a moisture meter from Amazon that arrived today. The wood I cut in August is reading 24%. Also cut a standing dead red oak about 3 weeks ago and it's reading 14%. Can't wait to burn this wood :)

Hello everybody. I am installing a ZC fireplace in the spring and have been stocking up on wood since last August. Sitting on about 3.5 cords so far of red and white oak. I ordered a moisture meter from Amazon that arrived today. The wood I cut in August is reading 24%. Also cut a standing dead red oak about 3 weeks ago and it's reading 14%. Can't wait to burn this wood :)

Did you test it on a freshly split piece that was at room temperature?

I wonder if that Red Oak was inside long enough to warm up sufficiently for an accurate reading? It's been my experience with Red Oak that they can still be really wet after standing for a long time after the bark has fallen off. But maybe that one did dry out nicely.

One thing we all know is that every log is different!!!! Part of what makes all of this so interesting.

Yes, I brought in a few pieces and let them sit for about 30mins then I split them and tested.I have learned a lot on this site so far
i'd leave them inside for a good day before i'd split them to measure MC

Reactions: Molsonc1
I wonder if that Red Oak was inside long enough to warm up sufficiently for an accurate reading? It's been my experience with Red Oak that they can still be really wet after standing for a long time after the bark has fallen off. But maybe that one did dry out nicely.

One thing we all know is that every log is different!!!! Part of what makes all of this so interesting.
I'll bring another one in tonight and check it tomorrow after work. The one thing I don't want to do is burn wet

Good deal. Like some other people have said, when you’re putting up wood for a given year, it’s nice to kind of sort it by species because not everything will dry at the same rate. Also, if you had some green stuff and some dead stuff, obviously the dead stuff might be drier sooner so sorting is good in this instance too. When i bring wood in, i know what stuff it was when i put it up, and so i’ll sacrifice 3-4 good sized rounds out of that particular species, bring them in for a day or two, then split them to check MC. I repeat this when i get into a difference species, or batch etc. That way i know the wood is good. I wouldn’t trust just one piece, because a lot of factors come into play. For example, if it was on the face of your stack versus a bit more sheltered deeper in a stack etc.

It’s great that you’re checking though. I know a lot of my buddies around here give me heck and think i’m silly for doing it. I think they’re cooked for not doing it!

Good deal. Like some other people have said, when you’re putting up wood for a given year, it’s nice to kind of sort it by species because not everything will dry at the same rate. Also, if you had some green stuff and some dead stuff, obviously the dead stuff might be drier sooner so sorting is good in this instance too. When i bring wood in, i know what stuff it was when i put it up, and so i’ll sacrifice 3-4 good sized rounds out of that particular species, bring them in for a day or two, then split them to check MC. I repeat this when i get into a difference species, or batch etc. That way i know the wood is good. I wouldn’t trust just one piece, because a lot of factors come into play. For example, if it was on the face of your stack versus a bit more sheltered deeper in a stack etc.

It’s great that you’re checking though. I know a lot of my buddies around here give me heck and think i’m silly for doing it. I think they’re cooked for not doing it!
Lol, my wife and son thought I was insane when I was playing with the moisture meter, with a smile on my face

Reactions: MissMac
Lol, my wife and son thought I was insane when I was playing with the moisture meter, with a smile on my face

It's interesting how much fun you can have with a moisture meter!! :) LOL! I got it as a "tool", but I sure have fun using it.

So this is another piece of the dead standing red oak I cut almost 4 weeks ago. Had it in house for 2 days.

Anyways moisture reading was 13.2%

Well cool! That standing dead oak had really dried down. I thought that moisture reading would go way up once it warmed up. Looks like that is ready to burn - in the stove it goes! ;-)

Well cool! That standing dead oak had really dried down. I thought that moisture reading would go way up once it warmed up. Looks like that is ready to burn - in the stove it goes! ;-)
Yes ready to burn, I just need a stove to put it in :(. Getting Pacific energy fp 25 in the spring. Just building up wood supply right now

Yes ready to burn, I just need a stove to put it in :(. Getting Pacific energy fp 25 in the spring. Just building up wood supply right now

Oh that's right. Well you are so ahead of the game by getting all of this wood going now - nice job. You will be smiling as you load that new stove with wood that is totally good to go.