New moisture meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Duds13

Sep 16, 2023
NY
Got a new moisture meter delivered today. Tested it out tonight on some fresh split oak that had been inside next to the stove for a couple days. Reads quick. Has two different settings for different wood types. Was getting similar readings on my old meter but it was acting up and the probe tips were a little banged up.

Moisture Meter 1.jpg Moisture Meter 2.jpg

I got a Klein moisture meter for my wood working projects.. I have yet to use it on any firewood, though. Got the prong-less version so I don't have to worry about them getting beat up. It also has a couple different modes: hardwood, softwood, drywall and masonry IIRC. That Bosch is a good looking unit.

The list of wood species in the two groups is very short. The online manual is the same. Not sure whether the PNW hemlock should be considered more like a fir (group A) or a pine (group B).

Other than that, I've generally found Bosch tools to be well made.

The list of wood species in the two groups is very short. The online manual is the same. Not sure whether the PNW hemlock should be considered more like a fir (group A) or a pine (group B).

Other than that, I've generally found Bosch tools to be well made.
Yeah definitely a short list. It says to use group A if you are unsure of the species as it will generally give a higher reading.