New mt vernon auger jam

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another jam error. Tried to reset stove and have a blank screen on thermostat. Have to get hold of dealer.

Yes that is the best thing you could do at this point.About the blank screen issue,if you take cover plate off of thermostat,it should comeback.

If you would update the thread after you find out from the deal what the problem is. Also have you tried a different pellet just to see if it might be the pellet length or something like that?

I will definitely keep you posted. I contacted the dealer today and he was going to call quad. I did unplug and it reset and was making some whining and crunching noises but no pellets. I am definitely bummed out but what can you do. Hoping to hear from dealer tom.

Ok spoke with dealer i purchased it from and they said to stick your hand in the auger to see if it is weak or it could be an optical switch. Does not sound right to me. Recommended getting tech to diagnose problem but they could help with parts. I think the auger is jammed up... not a sensor issue.

I think the auger is jammed up... not a sensor issue.

If are hearing crunching from the auger, there has to be something stuck in there. All I hear is the pellets hitting the fire pot.

Reactions: kinsmanstoves
Ok the stove was not jammed. I removed the auger and thoroughly cleaned and inspected. The stove is not getting past startup. It will start a small fire but is not feeding enough pellets. To keep it going. I am still getting auger jammed messages. Thoroughly dissapointed. My dealer doesent know anything about this stove and im too far away to have a tech come out.

Time to call Quad Fire and get them involved. Typically they will tell you to go through the dealer. But I would leverage this forum against them. You need help and they should supply it. Are there any other dealers closer to you or any other stove shops that might not sell your stove but can work on it?

Ok the stove was not jammed. I removed the auger and thoroughly cleaned and inspected. The stove is not getting past startup. It will start a small fire but is not feeding enough pellets. To keep it going. I am still getting auger jammed messages. Thoroughly dissapointed. My dealer doesent know anything about this stove and im too far away to have a tech come out.

If it is dropping pellets and not getting past start up I am wondering if it is thermal cuppling issue. Are you getting a min firepot error message? The prop that sticks out into the firepot tells how hot the fire is, I am wondering if it might be the issue in that it is not reading correctly thus the stove does not drop the pellets to build the fire.

As far as dealers where i am there are none within an hour. There is a place that is closer by that has opened up since then that has a very knowledgeable tech for these stoves. I might have to bite the bullet on a service call.

Just tried to get the stove going again. Let me paint a picture of whats going on. Autoclean. Startup with a few pellets making it to the burnpot. Autoclean again. Then it feeds pellets better, get ignition but i can hear the auger motor working and hear the auger making noise but the pellets stop and i get a jam error. Weird.

Just tried to get the stove going again. Let me paint a picture of whats going on. Autoclean. Startup with a few pellets making it to the burnpot. Autoclean again. Then it feeds pellets better, get ignition but i can hear the auger motor working and hear the auger making noise but the pellets stop and i get a jam error. Weird.
I have an AE also. I had this problem a lot last year. I switched pellets this year and only had 1jam. Give the stove a good cleaning with it cold and unplugged. Clear all pellets from the bin and feeder with a shop vac. There should be no pellets or dust left in the feeder. Try another brand off pellets. My dealer last year replaced the pellets because other quad owner had the same problems with the early year batches. The auger jam error only clears for me after it been unplugged and emptied. The retry never works.

Very strange that it is Auto Cleaning twice. If am not mistaken typically it will auto clean then go to start up and not autoclean again. glbewyre has a good suggestion if you have not already done this. Make sure to get down into the auger area so nothing is left at all (sometimes when I do this I do have to put a handful of pellets on the burn pot to get it going). Also many of the dealers will talk to over the phone and try to help you solve the problem without charging you. Might be worth a call.

Yeah guys already cleaned thoroughly when i pulled the auger. I also put in new bag of somersets so i have tried a different pellet. I must have some type of sensor or electrical issue. The local tech
Nearby is very knowledgeable and told me how to remove the auger. We both thought it was an actual jam but i have ruled that out.

Either the feed sensor is malfunctioning (most likely) or the capacitor in the auger motor is fried and the auger is spinning backwards. Remove the top Phillips screw from the feed assembly and pull the entire feed system out of the feed tube. Start it up again and when the auger feeds, note which way it's spinning. If it is spinning up its the sensor attached to the top of the armature. If its spinning in reverse you need a new auger motor. Or perhaps you in fact have a jam. If you clear everything out of the hopper and feed chute and still get the error.... Then look to see which way it's spinning if at all.

I would get in touch with that dealer. Was this a cash and carry or did they do the install? You can also check the voltage at the auger motor, should be 15 DC volts.

Eric

Not that I know this is your issue but FYI all Mt. Vernon AE stoves, beginning
with serial number 0070012621, and Mt. Vernon AE inserts, beginning with serial number 007002813, have upgraded motors. Part number SRV 7000-313.

Eric

Had some time to mess with stove. It took nearly 4 start cycles to get a fire in stove. Once i got ignition the feed rate seemed to slow then went into reverse. It went back and forth a few times then spun in reverse for a minute. Obviously the fire went out and i have an auger jam message. Waiting on call from dealer.

Well everyone, im back to burning pellets and it feels good... When I got home from work i checked the mail and sure enough, the sensor was in. Took me about 5 min to change it out. Went through a couple start ups to get the pellets up the tube but it looks to have solved the problem. The auger is no longer running in reverse. Odd that a new stove would have that part go out. I looked closely at the ild sensor when i removed it and part of it was slightly worn from the auger wheel. Thanks for all the help. From the suggestions on here the dealer and i wer able to figure it out.

Reactions: kinsmanstoves
Glad to hear you got your stove fixed. I'm not sure if your dealer did a (pre burn) before delivery,but mine does.It's a good thing ,because they discovered a bad themocouple before it got here.Not sure if you would of been as lucky,but I guess it's the nature of the beast.:)

Reactions: smoke show
Status
Not open for further replies.