New Napoleon 1900 and new to wood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerovick

Nov 21, 2012
Hello everyone!

After perusing the stickys I find my self with some unanswered questions.

I have 2 magnetic thermometers I have placed one 6 inches above the stove top on a single walled pipe (per the manafactuer of the thermometers intructions) and the other on the lip (not the top of the stove, it has and upper and a lower layer). Everyone keeps going on about the temp of there stoves are we talking about the the pipe or the top? My appliance says not to go over 700.

My next question is about.... Creosote. The above mentioned thermometer gives a "burn range" of 250 - 550. Under 250 says Creosote and over 550 says overburn. I havn't been leaving this thing burning when I leave for work in the morning. Does this really mean that anytime the temp is under 250 I am polluting my stove pipe with nastyness? What about the middle of the night when the fire dies down (I have not packed it full to try to get an overnight burn yet). What about days like today when I started it from coals about 7am and let it fizzle out because it got warmer outside? Is that bad? When I was letting the fire die today I went outside and looked at the top of the stove pipe and had very very little smoke coming out.

Thanks so much for the clarification

No worry. Creosote is formed by the volatile wood gases condensing. When the fire is down to the charcoal stage, (glowing coals) no more creosote is produces and a 250 chimney is not a problem.

The stove thermometer should be directly on the stove top for the best reading.

I've had the stove for about a month and a half now and I gotta tell you. I LOVE HEATING WITH WOOD!

Welcome to the forum Kerovick.

The most important thing you need to keep considering now is the fuel. Burn good fuel and you'll continue to love wood heat. Burn poor fuel and you'll be on here asking what has happened to your stove. Get yourself a few years ahead on your fuel and you will be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.