New non-cat stove questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelS

Nov 4, 2006
Southwest Missori
I am new to using a new technology stove and have some concerns. Is there suppose to be a firebox full of flames at the top even with the air dampered down to about an 1/8 or 1/4 open? Should you hear air sucking into the unit through the intake? I am kinda nervous being able to see the fire through the window, was anyone else like this when they first started burning? Thanks Michael

Sounds like good secondary combustion Michael. You'll find a lot of folks are concerned with odd noises, smells and sights with their first burns. But we'd be able to give you more guidance with more particulars regarding the stove make and model.

Thanks for the quick reply. The stove is a Century FW 300010 Plate steel stove connected to a tile lined masonary chimney 8x8 square. The chimney is 15 feet.

It's probably fine. How much wood did you have in the stove?

The stove will get some secondary air even with the primary air closed down. The flames at the top of the firebox are the gases being burned up. Better than heading up the chimney, eh?

Do you have a stove thermometer? Knowing the temperature that the stove is running at is a good guide towards how it is burning. If not, pick one up at the local hardware store. They're about $10-15 usually.

I dont have a thermometer yet, this weekend I will have one for sure. I havent put more than 3 splits in at once yet trying to get used to it. I brushed the chimney, but it was clean. I installed The stove myself with a little help from Elk as to how to run a 6" pipe into the 8" clay thimble. I had the Heating and Air shop make a 22ga. galvanized pipe which I mortered into the clay thimble and ran my stove pipe into that all the way to the Flu tile and sealed with stove cement.

Sounds good. Welcome to Hearth.com. With Elk's help, you couldn't be in better hands. Lots of us have new stoves this year and are learning their personalities. How's the Century been heating so far?

I know it isnt the most expensive and the plate is only 3/16 thick but it really throws some heat out. I just have to get used to being able to see the fire. Thanks for the welcome, I have been lurking for a few weeks and have found a ton of excellent info. Look forward to talking and shareing with all of you. Michael

If you'd like, send me the originals for your avatar via a PM. I can clean them up for you so that they show off the new Century.

Hi
Yes it is scary to see a fire burning in your room, watch out for sparks flying out the doors when adding logs. Get yourself a good pair of welders leather gloves. Use them when ever the door is open when adding wood, they will help avoid getting burned. A covered steel pail for the ashes is helpful when cleaning it out.

BeGreen, I sent my Pic. to you. Driftwood, funny you should mention the steel pail as I just picked one up today. I am picking up a thermometer and gloves this weekend.

HI Michael, welcome aboard. I encourage you to post a lot and post often as you learn about your new stove. Yes, a firebox FULL of flames is a good thing even if the air is all the way down. That indicates that the wood is essentially smouldering, but the stove is doing it's job and burning all that smoke that's coming off the wood. Smoke is fuel, and you've got a good hot burn and life is good. It's a little odd to see that but you get used to it after a while and even come to welcome the site of a firebox literally FULL of flames on a cold night. Don't worry about it...your stove is designed to do exactly what it's doing, and will be happy doing it for many years. Now that your comfortable with that....kinda neat eh?

glad to see you got it up and running I hope you share your experiences on the forum Likes and dislikes with the centry.
It is important for many that can not afford top of the line PE stoves to have a cost effective alternative like yours anf BB's Englander

Elk, so far I really like it. I can guarantee it is better than the 300-350 Electric bill we had last year. I have been able to keep the L.R. at around 78 and the rest of the house at about 68. Tonight I read how Marty keeps his fans blowing the cold air to the stove instead of trying to push the hot air around and I must say it is working really well at keeping the back bedrooms warmer. I have a 1300sf ranch style house with the LR,DR and kitchen on one end and the bathrooms and bedrooms at the other and trying to force the hot air back just wasnt working to good. By setting a fan on the floor in the back I can feel the currents actually flowing alot better. Thanks for the words Warren, I have spent the last week using the search feature and learning a ton of stuff. I am sure to have plenty of questions shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.