New or Used Stove Upgrade?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

runningduck72

Dec 16, 2013
New Hampshire
I currently have an Amnsti N380 (small stove made in Chile) which I am using as the primary heat source. Although it's a decent stove (particularly considering how much I paid for it), it's just not enough stove for our sole source of heat. Thus I need to upgrade to something larger and soon.... it's currently 5 degrees here and getting colder.

My budget is somewhat limited so I've been checking craigslist daily in hopes of finding a modern (EPA) stove with a ~2+ cu. ft firebox.

-The best deal I've found is a Quadrafire 3100 step-top that needs new glass (cracked) and the firebricks replaced. It does have a blower and ash pan. They want $375 for it, which I think is a good deal although I have yet to price out new glass and firebricks (perhaps $200ish?). Is that as good a deal as it appears to me?

-Another route would be an new Englander NC-30 for about $900 which has very positive reviews on this site but I would really like something a little less plain.

- I've also found a 3 year old PE Summit for 1k... which may be a fair price but I tend to think better deals are out there.

- After stopping at the a local stove shop the other day, a new stove is very tempting but I am not certain I have the budget for it. This time of year is probably the worst time to find a deal I would think. With that being said do you think it would be worth calling around and seeing if any dealers have any floor models they want to be rid of at a discounted price?

I guess I am just looking for some suggestions in terms of finding a quality stove at the best price. Do you guys tend to think I'd be better off just buying something new (englander or if budget allows something better) or would something on craigslist be a much better deal even if used. I realize my question is somewhat vague but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hmmm...sounds like you are bouncing around a bit. Looking for an EPA of ~2+ firebox, then you shift over to the NC30 at 3.5 cuft. BIG difference. Like really big.
Not being familiar with your current stove, could you give some general specs? Also - what are you heating? You will get very different answers based off of your heat requirements. Proper sizing of stoves is often overlooked. You don't want a NC30 in a 1100 sqft studio - but you also don't want an a little Jotul trying to heat 2700 sqft.

The stove I have now has been talked about on here already https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/amesti-n-380-review-cheap-stove-at-lowes.74454/ .... it's without question too small for what what I need which I knew when I put it in. The house now renting now had a old smoke dragon in it....So it was an upgrade from what was there. I am trying to avoid using the propane forced hot air furnace as I have plenty of free wood. Instead of buying propane I would rather buy a better woodstove.

The house is a A-frame with a two floor addition on one side of it (maybe 1600sq') which is reasonably well insulated. The location of the woodstove is not optimal as it's on the far wall of the addition....While the addition part of the house is plenty warm, the rest of the house is hard to get much above 55. No matter what, I don't think it's going to be optimal but seeing as it's just a winter rental I am limited in the changes I can make. Plus a larger stove would be more versatile for later on when we leave. Does that sound reasonable?

Any thoughts on that quarafire 3100 with broken glass and bricks for $375?

I also found this http://burlington.craigslist.org/ppd/4191568062.html ... A new Regency F2400 for $762+ tax, I think that seems to be a very good deal.... any thoughts on that? It's less then the englander nc-30 albeit with smaller firebox (2.3cu ft') but I think it's a "nicer" stove- if not functionally, aesthetically. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I second proper stove sizing. We have a 1500 square foot two story built in 1900 and an Englander 30. It was what I could afford at the time and I wanted descent burns so that is what I decided on. Even when the house was drafty it was too much stove until the outside temps were less than 30 degrees. Now that the house is tightened up and insulated it is almost unbearable. But being too hot is better than freezing your butt off.

Last night was -3F and the stove was perfectly sized for my house.

How many square feet are you trying to heat.....and are you planning to heat with wood only or do you plan to be a "some nights and weekends" burner?

I second proper stove sizing. We have a 1500 square foot two story built in 1900 and an Englander 30. It was what I could afford at the time and I wanted descent burns so that is what I decided on. Even when the house was drafty it was too much stove until the outside temps were less than 30 degrees. Now that the house is tightened up and insulated it is almost unbearable. But being too hot is better than freezing your butt off.

Last night was -3F and the stove was perfectly sized for my house.

How many square feet are you trying to heat.....and are you planning to heat with wood only or do you plan to be a "some nights and weekends" burner?

It's was -5F here when I woke up.... My wife is a stay at home mom so she tends the wood stove all day. It's a pain to have to get up in the night at and add more wood... Beyond that the stove itself is just doesn't have enough output (I think it's rated ~35k BTU output) when it's below zero here. Again the house is well insulated (new windows and insulation) but we need more heat... the kids are starting to sleep in the living room :eek: .... so I need to do something soon...

Last edited:
Go for the Regency, you know that you want it. And don't forget the $300 tax credit if you qualify.

Ok, do you know what kind of R-Value your hearth pad has? Clearances (behind the stove, in front)? Different stoves have different requirements. For instance, my stove only requires 4 1/2" rear clearance with double wall pipe and an ember only hearthpad (no r-value requirement). I can't recall the Englander clearance requirements, but it's more than 4 1/2" and there is an R-value requirement for the pad, so I couldn't just swap out my stove for an NC-13 or 30 if I wanted to (not that I do, but just as an example).

Go for the Regency, you know that you want it. And don't forget the $300 tax credit if you qualify.

I do... I just need to talk myself into it; as after marrying a women with 3 kids my bank account isn't quite what it once was :rolleyes: . Any thoughts on how good a deal $762 (+tax) for a Regency F2400 really is?

Another question..... I bought a PE Fusion from a dealer a few years ago for my mother... I didn't negotiate at all... do you think if I walk in with cash they may be more apt to cut a deal? This time of year might be hard though.... I'd prefer to buy from a local dealer but I wonder what the chances are of them having a comparable deal....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.