New osborn stove advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shwn2405

Mar 6, 2021
Indiana
So I'm new to the wood stove burning business and I'm trying to learn the operation of my new Osborn 2000 insert. Had it installed about a month ago (should of done it myself, but I had a company do it per the wife). Chimney is in the middle of my open concept home (with no damper block plate per the install company, doesn't need it they said). I wasn't too impressed with the heat being blown into our living room/kitchen compared to an old Buck 27000 that I replaced. I hardly used the old buck because it was a slammer and I was afraid of chimney fires or letting it operate when I wasn't at home. Felt like a lot of heat was going up the chimney due to no block plate. Last week I did my research on here and threw some rock wool and fabricated a block plate made from sheet metal around the liner after reading the thread on a poor mans block off plate. well, yesterday was my first fire since the block off plate. Loaded the stove and let her cook! house got up to 74 which I was happy with, but it was 40 degrees outside. Really felt like the heat wasn't going up the chimney and kept the box nice and hot and blowing into the room. I'm definitely a secondary burn junkie just like all the other guys on here. My question is, I'll look at the chimney cap and i see no smoke coming out (which is good) but I do see heatwaves coming out of my flue/chimney cap. Is this normal? Am I loosing too much heat up the flue? I believe my stove is at operational temp because I close the air supply all the way and let the secondary tubes do all the work. Any tips on anything else would be great too.

So I'm new to the wood stove burning business and I'm trying to learn the operation of my new Osborn 2000 insert. Had it installed about a month ago (should of done it myself, but I had a company do it per the wife). Chimney is in the middle of my open concept home (with no damper block plate per the install company, doesn't need it they said). I wasn't too impressed with the heat being blown into our living room/kitchen compared to an old Buck 27000 that I replaced. I hardly used the old buck because it was a slammer and I was afraid of chimney fires or letting it operate when I wasn't at home. Felt like a lot of heat was going up the chimney due to no block plate. Last week I did my research on here and threw some rock wool and fabricated a block plate made from sheet metal around the liner after reading the thread on a poor mans block off plate. well, yesterday was my first fire since the block off plate. Loaded the stove and let her cook! house got up to 74 which I was happy with, but it was 40 degrees outside. Really felt like the heat wasn't going up the chimney and kept the box nice and hot and blowing into the room. I'm definitely a secondary burn junkie just like all the other guys on here. My question is, I'll look at the chimney cap and i see no smoke coming out (which is good) but I do see heatwaves coming out of my flue/chimney cap. Is this normal? Am I loosing too much heat up the flue? I believe my stove is at operational temp because I close the air supply all the way and let the secondary tubes do all the work. Any tips on anything else would be great too.
I get the heat waves too, it just means that you're burning nice and clean! On the lowest draft setting and you're not wasting heat up the chimney, 20-30% heatloss up the stack is to be expected