New owner with questions about Avalon Olympic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sunglider

Dec 22, 2009
Andes, New York
Lit the first "real" fire in this stove yesterday. Professionally installed in the basement, couple of feet of double-wall with a 90-degree bend to a piece of Class A through the concrete foundation and then Class A up the outside of the house about 25 feet.

Everything went well. I learned that a steel stove heats up much faster than cast iron. I also learned that the stove-top thermometer I bought runs between 150-200 degrees hotter than the IR readings I was getting. (Thermometer 800, IR 600 range depending on location of reading. I'm pretty sure all was well. The only part of the stove that was glowing red was the front burn tube inside.)

Here are the questions:

1) The primary air control lever feels very stiff and hard to move. Is this normal? Can I lubricate it a bit? If so, with what? And exactly where? It looks like the actual linkage is well under the belly of the stove.

2) Do others with this stove find that it is very sensitive to the smallest amount of air? I found that even with just a few splits (very well seasoned ash), opening the air as little as 1/4" had a dramatic effect on the fire? Closing the air would definitely have snuffed it out but I was surprised that I was having to run it virtually closed to keep the temperature from skyrocketing. (Very different from the Hampton upstairs.)

Thanks for any advice.

sunglider said:
Lit the first "real" fire in this stove yesterday. Professionally installed in the basement, couple of feet of double-wall with a 90-degree bend to a piece of Class A through the concrete foundation and then Class A up the outside of the house about 25 feet.

Everything went well. I learned that a steel stove heats up much faster than cast iron. I also learned that the stove-top thermometer I bought runs between 150-200 degrees hotter than the IR readings I was getting. (Thermometer 800, IR 600 range depending on location of reading. I'm pretty sure all was well. The only part of the stove that was glowing red was the front burn tube inside.)

Here are the questions:

1) The primary air control lever feels very stiff and hard to move. Is this normal? Can I lubricate it a bit? If so, with what? And exactly where? It looks like the actual linkage is well under the belly of the stove. I have had mine for 2 years and it is the same way. Just a little stiff.
2) Do others with this stove find that it is very sensitive to the smallest amount of air? I found that even with just a few splits (very well seasoned ash), opening the air as little as 1/4" had a dramatic effect on the fire? Closing the air would definitely have snuffed it out but I was surprised that I was having to run it virtually closed to keep the temperature from skyrocketing. (Very different from the Hampton upstairs.) Yes, I also have found the same. I operate mine between 1/4 to 1/3 open with the by-pass closed for the secondary burn to happen and it warms my 2,000 sq ft plus area just fine. Great stove!.

Thanks for any advice.

I got mine used from ad on Craigslist’s in Dallas (I live the Houston area) in September. The sticker on the back said it was made in 2006. My air control lever is just fine. Your comment says “opening the air as little as 1/4” had a dramatic effect on the fire” mine does the same. Closing the air won’t snuff it. If I put too wood, it gets too hot – over 700 degrees.

I use red oak – most is my shed and it was cut and stacked 6 years ago. I can’t put but 2 spits or it gets too hot. Now it has 2 nice pieces and it reads about 475 degrees. I have some wood I cut and stacked this year in the spring and some from the hurricane from 2008. I may try adding some with that in the box to see if works better. The glass gets dirty so fast. I blew the screen from the intake and it works a lot better. I ordered a new gasket from the dealer and when it gets here, I hope that will help too.

We have a 1200 sq ft house and it keeps the whole house warm – from 78 – 80 and the temps here have from the 40’s at night. I get up about 4 AM to add wood so my wife won’t get cold and so it won’t get too hot before we get in bed.

This year, the plan is use the insert for at least 90% for our heat.

I love that insert. My dad built the house in the 1960’s and the fireplace is a good fit. I got a Cozy Grate last year and it helped the bill (we use propane) but it used a lot of wood. I cut my own wood.

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.