New P68 makes a non stop clinging sound, is that normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

usmc_pyro

Sep 30, 2009
Carmel, NY
I have a brand new P68 which I have been running for about 3 weeks. It now makes this non stop clinging sound, sounds like to light pieces of metal banging into eachother. My dealer states that's normal and I should only be worried if it stops making that noise. There can be no way thats a normal sound because it has become very annoying to here. Dealer says its a flap that allows air into the unit somewhat like the top metal piece that goes up and down on a truck exhaust. Does anyone know if this is normal? it was not doing this for the first 2 weeks. Thanks in advance.

could be the intake damper, like the dealer says, but it ISNT normal when it makes that noise....kida weird....makes me think the combustion fan is messed up (marginal flow), or the vent is plugging (dang unlikely with a new stove!)

I agree, not normal. Mine makes a sound on start-up that I assumed to be expanding metal. Sounds a little like rain drops on a metal pipe. It lasts until the fire gets going, then stops. I've had issues trying to burn super premium pellets (turns my stove black), Wonder if there's something wrong with my stove as well. How do you check the intake damper? Where is it, and what is "normal"?
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread, it's just that I have a similiar sound, but not all the time.
usmc_pyro, how does your stove burn? Even if it's burning OK, that sound is not something you should put up with. I would tell him you've checked with an entire forum of people, and it is not normal. that's ridiculous. If you have a digital camera with capacity to take short movies with sound, I would tape it and pay him a visit in person.

I have been burning my P68 off and on since September. No noise like that at all. If its the intake flapper, I dont thing it should make constant noise as that would mean a sudden shut off of air causing it to close abruptly. If you use your dealers analogy of a truck's exhaust, you dont see that truck flap closing while the engine is off of idle.

Do you have an OAK? Dont know if there would be a difference, but mine does have one and no noise.

Well the stove is burning great besides the clinging sound. I initially had the dealer/service guy come out because my feeder stopped working. He thought something was jammed in it but my stove was super clean. He removed the motor and manually rotated the feeder, pellets came out and now its working fine. When we fired it up, the sound started and I made him aware of it....15 minutes later its still making the same noise and he said it was normal. I dont know if he see's that im a city guy and know absolutely nothing about a pellet stoves lol or he's just being lazy. I knew I was going to have a hard time with these guys when my stove came with with a shreaded power cord, and it took them over a week to get it fixed...and thats just because I called going crazy over the phone. Im going to give them a call in the morning, hopefully I dont get the run around. Thanks for the replies guys.

usmc_pyro said:
gbreda...whats an OAK?

Outside Air Kit. A seperate metalic tube connected to the air intake that runs from the stove to the outside for fresh air instead of using air from inside the house.

usmc_pyro said:
Well the stove is burning great besides the clinging sound. I initially had the dealer/service guy come out because my feeder stopped working. He thought something was jammed in it but my stove was super clean. He removed the motor and manually rotated the feeder, pellets came out and now its working fine. When we fired it up, the sound started and I made him aware of it....15 minutes later its still making the same noise and he said it was normal. I dont know if he see's that im a city guy and know absolutely nothing about a pellet stoves lol or he's just being lazy. I knew I was going to have a hard time with these guys when my stove came with with a shreaded power cord, and it took them over a week to get it fixed...and thats just because I called going crazy over the phone. Im going to give them a call in the morning, hopefully I dont get the run around. Thanks for the replies guys.

It started to make this sound after the tech worked on the stove?

Thanks for the explination, no I do not have an Oak. The sound was after the tech worked on it. I did fix it finally. Before the tect came over I had one of the removable rear panels off, once the tech was done he went ahead and screwed it back on. By him screwing it back on it created somewhat of a stronger draft which made the lever elevate more and bang into the tube inside...therefore creating that CLING CLING CLING sound. Thank god! I sure hope thats what it was. Thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.