New Pacific Energy NEO 2.5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ode1891

Dec 7, 2015
Maryland
We had our new insert installed last week. It is a real adjustment in burning the new efficient stoves, especially since ours was 1970 technology. We had the stove store do the install--I'm glad we did! They did a great job on the liner and cap. The stove was 2700 and the install with a liner was 1500. It puts out more heat, uses MUCH less wood, and so far it appears to leave hardly any ash by comparison. I'll post a picture soon.

My friend who is in this business says that PE stoves are workhorses, not very pretty but good stoves. I think it looks great in our hearth. Anybody recommend a cleaning kit? Or individual piece parts? My old insert burned so hot that cleaning every 4 years was fine. I know that I'll need to clean this new stove every Spring.

The first three or four days I burned this stove, the only noise I heard was the fan. No other sounds at all. Yesterday it starting popping or pinging as if the metal was expanding and or contracting. Today it started making that noise and it appears to be a constant. So far, at least so far as I can tell, this is not just happening as the stove metal heats and cools but all the time. Is this common or do I have something defective? Its enough of a distraction that I can't fall asleep in the same room. Sort of like an electric baseboard heater warming up or cooling down. There's a piece of metal in the back hanging like a 1 inch rod that moves if you hit it as it is loose, but that is not causing a noise as it sits still when not bumped. That piece might have something to do with removing the baffle for cleaning?

No doubt someone here can help you. That said you did just give them a ton of your money! Don't be afraid to have your installer come back out.

Would it be rain water going down the flue?

What is the sound like? In addition to metal expanding there is the EBT flap that will swing open and shut depending on the draft. There is also a gentle air sound that is more noticeable with the air closed down.

What is the sound like? In addition to metal expanding there is the EBT flap that will swing open and shut depending on the draft. There is also a gentle air sound that is more noticeable with the air closed down.

That's interesting. I do notice a sound like a flapper of sorts. I think the other noise I hear it is just the sound from steel expanding and contracting. When it operates at a consistent heat, there's no noise. The steel in my ancient insert was super thick and it made almost no sounds. I guess these efficient brick-lines boxes get away with thinner steel, compared to older steel or cast iron, and they are more affordable maybe? I just need to not damp it down or stoke it up if I plan to take a nap in that room for 30 minutes after adjusting the stove. Its been fun learning how to burn this box! Much less wood, less ash, less black on the glass, seems to put out more heat too. I do need to find a way to monitor the box temp as I seem to lean towards a hotter box than I should. For now I am backing the air input by 50% after getting it rolling well--but I rarely go below half way closed

I have the NEO and mine does that as well when it heats up and cools. I believe it is the steel expanding and contracting.
Update on packing it full and damping it down. After looking at posts regarding these new efficient stoves, I have been cramming it full of wood, and damping it down to whatever full closed is (maybe 10%)? It burns for at least 8 hours and has a full bed of coals. Also, I load straight in from the front which is new to me and I love it since I no longer concern myself with logs falling into the door--they fall sideways.
IMG_1264.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.