New Pacific Energy T5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the T5 is in and I love it. I have nothing to compare it to, but for a woodburning beginer, it is very easy to operate and get a fire going. I do have a question or two. When I start a fire from a cold stove am I supposed to let the stove hit 350 or 400 before closing the air? Or, should I just let the fire get going for about 15 mins and then shut it down a bit. I am confused about that. Also, when an established fire is starting to dwindle down and you just see coals, I add some splits to that and the fire starts back up. Do I have to let the thermometer reach a certain temp, or once the logs catch just turn the air down? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Depending on where you are measuring the temperature, stove top (steel not trivet) vs stove pipe. Play with it a bit, shutting down the air in stages seems to work the best, and depending on your wood, chimney draft you may or may not be able to shut it all the way down.

BTW, the blower will really help with heat output on the alderlea's. Though stove top temps are lower with the fan on, so controlling the air is more by eye than fixed temperature monitoring.

Add some pictures of the install if you have a chance, we like pictures.

And depending on who did your install, check door fit, and ash chute for proper fit.

I am placing the thermometer on the top left trivet built in cooktop. I do not have a flue thermometer. My installer did tell me that the blower kit really works great with those stoves. I just want to make sure I am burning hot enogh so I don't accumulate creosote.

Move the thermometer below the trivet, onto the steel stove top. And you will be looking at the same temperature monitoring site that most of us discuss.

You will have to peek thru the trivet, or rotate it out to see it. If you search the past yr or so, begreen has some graphs of stove top and stack temps over time. And I would suggest checking the thermometer in your oven, ie on a pizza stone etc at various temps, they can be way off.

yes, you can close the trivet, as you have found.

i would also suggest not moving it around much, as it will scratch the paint on the steel. as well, i am not putting a cast kettle on the stove (or trivet) for similar reasons, scratches and water (spills or vapor) on steel/cast iron => rust. I picked up a 14 gal rated "MoistAir" whole house unit at Home Depot which so far does a much better job and less hassle, though it consumes ~125 watts.

I put a Cast steamer on the right side. I will take it off then. I honestly don't think it does much anyway. My wife wants me to put a humidifier in anyway because we have a piano in the same room as the stove. Don't want that bad boy drying out.

If you pull back the trivet, and put the kettle on the steel, it can boil (over) which scared the crap out of us a couple times. i do not recommend this.

BTW, baked potatoes, in heavy duty foil!!, in the front corners of the stove take < 30 and are great. The trivet spread open kept alot of the thanksgiving stuff warm. I've melted butter in a sauce pan, and done a little cooking in pans on top, just for fun, but think it is a bad idea, UNLESS you like repainting stoves I am now keeping most stuff off of the stove.

Good that you got this clarified. Thanks Madison. The trivet clears our thermometer easily. hen the stove top (not trivet top) hits about 350-400 you can start reducing the outside air. Try reducing it to 50% for about 15 minutes, then close it down until right before the fire starts dying down and the secondary bWrn gets lazy and floats over the logs.

I just had my t5 installed about 3 weeks ago. In terms of shutting the air down, i wait until approx 400 degrees (asked my wife and apparently she shuts it down at aroune 350) with no smoke. I turn it all the way down at that point, and the stove is very happy. I am really impressed with the stove, more than enough heat, and it is mellow so it doesn't roast you out of the room. I'm in colorado, had our first sub zero night, i could have used the blower on that night, but otherwise it has been fine. Good luck!!!

Johnnyguitars said:
Well, the T5 is in and I love it. I have nothing to compare it to, but for a woodburning beginer, it is very easy to operate and get a fire going. I do have a question or two. When I start a fire from a cold stove am I supposed to let the stove hit 350 or 400 before closing the air? Or, should I just let the fire get going for about 15 mins and then shut it down a bit. I am confused about that. Also, when an established fire is starting to dwindle down and you just see coals, I add some splits to that and the fire starts back up. Do I have to let the thermometer reach a certain temp, or once the logs catch just turn the air down? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have the Spectrum Classic (same firebox as T5) and I leave her wide open for 20 minutes or so from cold. After 20 I cut it to half for another 15 or so. Then close her down.

EDIT - My Spectrum Classic is working great. Just thought everyone would like that update.

Glad it is working out for you.
I place my thermometer just at the base of the chimney. I only have to open the trivets a tiny amount and it fits right in and is still readable.

I put a a pot of water on the trivet. In the whole big picture of whole house humidity it does dick though.

d.n.f. said:
I put a a pot of water on the trivet. In the whole big picture of whole house humidity it does dick though.

Well stated, the kettles are not worth the hassle and stove damage for the small amount of water vapor. The console unit can put out a massive amount of moisture. I have mine set at 45%, and I am going thru ~ 5+ gallons of water over a 24 hr period. I think any of the console units from sears etc are worth the $$.

d.n.f. said:
Glad it is working out for you.
I place my thermometer just at the base of the chimney. I only have to open the trivets a tiny amount and it fits right in and is still readable.

More pots! :)

We're in an unusual cold, clear and dry spell and are going thru 3 qts every 8-10 hrs with one pot. I should add a couple more because I just can't bring myself to buying a humidifier for the Pac NW :).

Thanks to all on this forum for the great advice and help. I think I screwed up last night when I came home from work. I got in about 11PM and there were some coals on the bottom of the stove. I put a large split over the coals and it started to smoke and hiss. It smoldered a bit, so I then put some smaller splits around it and the fire eventually took off. Could this be that the wood was damp? I store the wood in my driveway under an old swiming pool cover. The wood for about a two or three day period stays in my garage. Should I keep more in the garage? I have had the stove since Fri and this was the first time that happened, so I know my wood is seasoned. Any insight would be appreciated.

Rake the coals forward, put the larger split in back and put some kindling and small plits over the coals. If you're loading north-south (which I can't really do in my little Vista), my guess is to put the large split in the middle with kindling and smaller splits on either side, but maybe other T5 or N-S burners can give you better info. Putting a large split right on the coals can smother them. These EPA stoves burn from front to back because of the airwash that keeps the glass clean.

Another rookie question. This morning I fired her up and let the temp get t 475 before adjusting the air. The stove rose to almost 700 and is now desending. Is this bad? Is that too hot for this stove? I figured I leave the air open a little longer since I may have burned some wet/damp wood.

Within normal temps jg. Ours is at 650 and climbing right now with a fresh load of stove chow.

More pots get the veto from the decora consultant (wife).

Sisu posted over in another thread which I will try to repeat, that Corey at PE related to him that the the hardest thing you can do to your stove is go from max air & very hot, slam the air down to min. And I would agree, as I have heard some amazing sounds eminating from the stove when you do this.

I have been in the routine to step it down.

I also notice that I do not get the extreme temps and stove temp changes with the blower on.

Status
Not open for further replies.