New paint stink...Did I screw up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

happycat254

Nov 26, 2010
Catskill mountains, NYsas
Hi folks. I recently picked up an old Trolla stove (similar to the Jotul "Tiki" stove). Pretty cool looking shape, but a little rust starting to seep through the paint. We decided to repaint with something colorful and decided to go with engine block paint. (because it was available, and I didn't know about stove paint other than black) We went with Chrysler Hemi Orange. Can't find the first can I used which I seem to remember was something like 1200 degree paint, however I ran short and ran to the auto store and got two more cans of a different brand (plastiKote) which I noticed after the deed was done was only 500 degree paint.
THE PROBLEM: The first time I fired it up with a small fire, I had smoke leaking out of the seams, and pretty bad paint smell. I sealed the seams with rutland stove cement, and added a gasket to the front panel (which is removable). Fired it up again with another very small fire and got really bad paint smell again. Also noticed some paint flaking off of the door.... I'm a little apprehensive about firing it up again and filling the house with toxic fumes. Though it is right next to a window and I can isolate that room and put a fan in the window....

THE QUESTION: Have I doomed myself to having to sand blast the stove, or is the paint smell likely to go away eventually? Or is 500 degree paint just too low temp and likely to stink every time I run it?
ADDITIONAL INFO: The stove did cure outside for about a week before firing.

Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed

From what I remember using high temp automotive paints they have to be baked to cure properly so they hold their temp ratings. If you don't do it just right it doesn't work.

The smell is normal, the paint is fine. Just let her rip for a few hours and that stuff will cure and burn off. You'll be ok. It helps if you drink mead and eat turkey/stuffing/cranberry sandwiches.

Status
Not open for further replies.